• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Its amazing how what I consider a small amount of money, I have been for meals with other contractors where the bill has hit £600 and no one
    600 GBP? WTF! Anything above 10 EUR spent in a restaurant is already a pain for me.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I think its only become clear when I hear of mates moaning about car repairs or how much a service costs, when I can happily pay for it without thinking, but then again I was always an astute saver.
      You sound like me.

Comment

With 2 kids and a number of expensive hobbies i'm practically poor anyway.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by KaiserWilly View Post
          600 GBP? WTF! Anything above 10 EUR spent in a restaurant is already a pain for me.
          I think the average bill for Gub club is about £500ish, there's normally about 8-10 of us at each one. Not bad if everyone is having 3 courses and wine.

It would be a different matter if that was the bill and there was two of you!
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I think the average bill for Gub club is about £500ish, there's normally about 8-10 of us at each one. Not bad if everyone is having 3 courses and wine.

It would be a different matter if that was the bill and there was two of you!
            I have to say I did inwardly suck air over my teeth at £50 for a bottle of ordinary wine when we went to the bbq place (MInd you, not enough to stop us ordering a second...)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I have to say I did inwardly suck air over my teeth at £50 for a bottle of ordinary wine when we went to the bbq place (MInd you, not enough to stop us ordering a second...)
              I always grit my teeth when dealing with wine lists, its a right 'ol pain seeing stuff that's normally a tenner a bottle selling for £50.

The average mark up is 300% though the higher up the list the closer to retail price you get.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                You sound like me.
                Then again those mates were the same people who would buy stuff on HP and then have heart failure when they had to pay up for everything at the same time.

I never buy anything that I cannot afford to buy outright. At one stage I got interest free credit on a car and used the interest on my savings to pay it off (back in the days when there were decent interest rates on savings).

Norrahe's blog

Comment

My attitude to eating out is - if you are going to worry about the cost; what's the point?
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I never buy anything that I cannot afford to buy outright.
                    I knew it!!!!! it's a me-sockie!!!

wait... an impersockienator

Comment

I always grit my teeth when dealing with wine lists, its a right 'ol pain seeing stuff that's normally a tenner a bottle selling for £50.

The average mark up is 300% though the higher up the list the closer to retail price you get.
                      I'm a cheapskate, always go for the house wine as it's their reputation at stake if its tulip.

Ordering the second cheapest on the list is a noob mistake.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X