• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does no-one understand stats anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    striking idiot?

WTF does that mean?
    Northern Monkey.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      love you too minnie

If I had been in person I would have delivered that with a smile, "WTF does that mean."

Comment

Lack of statistical knowledge or awareness is a serious problem I agree. Most people don't understand probability, or the National Lottery would fail miserably. A long time ago I did half a personnel qualification and it required passing an exam in Stats roughly A level standard. I think the same should go for social work. Before I left my job I was told loftily by my line manager that "you cannot have percentiles unless it is a standard distribution". She was being paid about £60k pa

However I think people are getting unnecessarily paranoid about this idea of recording when kids go into A&E. Decisions wont rest solely on this evidence - it just flags up possible situations which might indicate a problem to be investigated. We know some kids are accident prone. One of my daughter's friends was in A&E about once a year, because she was always climbing trees etc. If there is a reasonable explanation then people have little to worry about. Ok you might go on holiday and attend an A&E out your area if your kid hurts themselves. But how many times would that happen? If it happened 3 times and there was no apparent reason wouldnt that warrant a few questions?

Comment

I vote sockie.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I vote sockie.
            I vote G**tile

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              I vote meat and two veg
              FTFY
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The Social Services have to be informed if a child goes into hospital a certain amount of times in a short period of time. As stated in a previous thread, I know a couple and one came to see us as we'd been flagged up, as our middle child had broken her finger 3 times in a couple fo weks, she just kept trapping it in doors and tulip. Anyhoo, she came to see us, not officially, but to let us know what had happened. She said to her manager she knew us personally and it wouldn't be abuse.

I don't know how I'd have felt if they had come to see up professional, asking us about abuse, but you have to think it's got to be a good sighter of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Bad analogy. The % of a chance being admitted to hospital is much lower than 50%. Hence, after you'd beaten baby BP 4 times in 7 weeks the chances of that are more likely to be 50000-1, in addition there are only so many door handles Mrs BP can walk into in a month as well.
                  I would not dare punch Mrs BP - but she did punch me once. She can beat me at arm wrestling. And if there was any suspicious I had harmed baby BP she would rip my b4lls off.

2 of baby bp's injuries were in front of family - one trip and one walk into a door. Once his sister pushed him down the stairs (Mrs BP was closer than me) and the other time I was with Mrs BP when he came limping down the garden - we suspect he fell but have no idea.

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                  However I think people are getting unnecessarily paranoid about this idea of recording when kids go into A&E. Decisions wont rest solely on this evidence - it just flags up possible situations which might indicate a problem to be investigated. We know some kids are accident prone.
                  +1.

Comment

after watching the news on this last night it seems they will also be observing parent/chold interactions etc whilst they are at A&E - which may also indicate possible lack of concern/neglect.

will be tricky for the A&E teams but I also think it will give them more powers to act when there do seem to be clear signs of abuse/neglect.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
                      Lack of statistical knowledge or awareness is a serious problem I agree. Most people don't understand probability, or the National Lottery would fail miserably. A long time ago I did half a personnel qualification and it required passing an exam in Stats roughly A level standard. I think the same should go for social work. Before I left my job I was told loftily by my line manager that "you cannot have percentiles unless it is a standard distribution". She was being paid about £60k pa

However I think people are getting unnecessarily paranoid about this idea of recording when kids go into A&E. Decisions wont rest solely on this evidence - it just flags up possible situations which might indicate a problem to be investigated. We know some kids are accident prone. One of my daughter's friends was in A&E about once a year, because she was always climbing trees etc. If there is a reasonable explanation then people have little to worry about. Ok you might go on holiday and attend an A&E out your area if your kid hurts themselves. But how many times would that happen? If it happened 3 times and there was no apparent reason wouldnt that warrant a few questions?

Hi Gentile !

Whats happened ? Local council desk job getting boring ?
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X