• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So it's Portugal next

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    You're more optimistic than I am. Unless there is a massive improvement (which quite frankly I don't see happening) we are out in the next game. Quarter-finals to a Scolari team again - Sigh!
    Don't judge on early form.

As you know, Spain beat Ukraine 4-0 in the first game, then walked their group, but are now on their way home while Ukraine are in the quarters.

History shows lots of teams who have reached the final and even won it after slow starts. My favourite was 1978, when a team somehow managed to lose to Scotland - but still reached the final!

The only big downer for England is Owen's injury, and the crappest refereeing ever makes it a lottery. We'll have to improve our diving.
    Last edited by wendigo100; 27 June 2006, 22:44.

Comment

Yes not many can apprecicate the cunning Ericsson strategy of boring the opposition into a stupor and then delivering the sucker punch.

Brilliant.

I think the England camp should beware of the tactic they might face against Brazil , if they manage to bore Portugal into submission , Im sure Ericsson could perempt the dangers highlighted from the Ghanas Daily Graphic

Yesterday the country's bestselling newspaper, the Daily Graphic,warned that Ghana's opponents "may resort to weaken Ghana's Black Stars before the kick-off by unleashing beautiful Brazilian women sex workers around the Stars' camp at night."
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 June 2006, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
        Yes not many can apprecicate the cunning Ericsson strategy of boring the opposition into a stupor and then delivering the sucker punch.

Brilliant.
        It has also worked for Italy, France and Germany. It must be an EU thing.

Comment

It hurts me to say this, but I think England will win on sat. I feel dirty. Sure they have played average, but they have been winning. Look at Italy, France, Spain even Brazil. All have played average or poor at some stage. But if England win the world cup I am moving back to Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            It has also worked for Italy, France and Germany. It must be an EU thing.
            Aye W

Well given the Ukraine Switzerland match must rank as the most boring World Cup Match ever it aint an EU thing.

My gut feeling is that if England continue to underperform they will probably scrape a lucky victory against Portugal, however should they really turn it on and play a great game they will probably be defeated by a controversial off side goal.

Its a funny game ...
            Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 June 2006, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
              Aye W

Well given that England have been outbored by the Ukraine I dont think its an EU thing, the Ukraine Switzerland match must rank as the most boring World Cup Match ever.
              What Ukraine Switzerland match?

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
                What Ukraine Switzerland match?
                I stayed up to watch that. Ye gods! I couldn't believe it. Neither team could even score a penalty.

Comment

I watched the last 20 min of full time and after ten minutes predicted that neither team would score even if they continued for the next 3 days and penaltys would decide it.

Now I can generally predict if a penalty will be converted by judging the players run up to the ball, and never have I seen such poorly taken penaltys,what an utter shambles.

Perhaps Ukraine might win the World Cup ... on penaltys of course ,now that would kill the game forever.
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 28 June 2006, 09:38.

Comment

I still remember a dream I had last year - England play Germany in the final and win 3-1.

Remember you heard it here, first ...
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

My prediction was a Brazil Germany final with Brazil winning ie a repeat of the last world cup, perhaps Argentina will prove me wrong, Im sure that will be a match worth watching.

And of course watch out for Finland ...

Comment

Working...
                      X