• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top University graduates working in Pubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
    Nothing I think everyone should work in a shop / bar / cafe etc just to see what its like on that side of the fence.
    Yep, I fondly worked as a cashier in a petrol station to make enough money for university. One attempted armed robbery, numerous threats from people too drunk to see straight, various people trying to drive away without paying for their petrol - then having the fun of seeing them in the only nightclub in the town on the weekends.

Hated the job but had to do it because I needed the money and it was a small Welsh town so there were few other jobs. I think it helped give me a good perspective on life.
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Anyway, what's wrong with working in a pub if you're 22 or so? It's work, it's experience of dealing with customers and could even be a route to running your own business. I think some people need to be a bit less snooty about jobs.
      WHS.

People skills, communication, handling money, honesty, dealing with stroppy customers, working antisocial hours. All useful skills in other areas.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Most grads these days don't know the difference between a barrister and a barista.
        Was in Temple Bar the other day and they served a tulip cup of coffee.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          You have to be realistic about this.
          If you were employing a barmaid, which one would you choose ?

The one with an english lit degree (good communicator)
          The one with a maths degree (good at giving the right change)
          The one with an engineering degree (good at changing the barrels)

Girls who maths and engineering tend to be a bit geeky. English lit girls tend to be sexpots.

Which would you choose?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Came across this website today.

"We have nearly 150 employees, more than 80% hold university degrees".

Reminded me of our own sasguru

Funny how different cultures prioritise different things to promote on their websites.

Comment

Before I moved into the world of 'proper jobs' where my education synchronised with paid activity I had been a butcher, a KFC chef, done labouring on building sites, texaco service stations and a host of other tulipe roles paying abolutely tulipe money which funded my education.

Tony and Gordon promised you the world, it ain't my fault you want what we cannot given now.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Girls who maths and engineering tend to be a bit geeky. English lit girls tend to be sexpots.

Which would you choose?
                Apparently arts students get twice as much sex as science.

(Although 2x0 is still nothing! )

Edit: more up-to-date research (from the Wail) - where's our ekonomik jeeniuses?
                Last edited by mudskipper; 8 November 2012, 21:33.

Comment

No female graduated from my year in Engineering out of 80.

Wish I had done marketing. I could have done my thesis on why pepsi blue was a stronger brand identity than coke red.

It would have gone "blue is nicer than red and that is that", and so I would have got a first.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    No female graduated from my year in Engineering out of 80.

Wish I had done marketing. I could have done my thesis on why pepsi blue was a stronger brand identity than coke red.

It would have gone "blue is nicer than red and that is that", and so I would have got a first.
                    I think you would have needed to refer to psychological studies on chimpanzees showing different responses to blue and red. You would also have needed to refer to social perceptions and associations of the two colours. You would have had to present and weigh up evidence that conflicted with your main thrust. You would have needed to look at other examples of advertising which supported your view. You would have examined the history of the brands, and whether the colour really was the determinant factor.

Do you really think that level of BS is easier than plain old factual engineering?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      I think you would have needed to refer to psychological studies on chimpanzees showing different responses to blue and red. You would also have needed to refer to social perceptions and associations of the two colours. You would have had to present and weigh up evidence that conflicted with your main thrust. You would have needed to look at other examples of advertising which supported your view. You would have examined the history of the brands, and whether the colour really was the determinant factor.

Do you really think that level of BS is easier than plain old factual engineering?
                      You want to compare "oh I think, they think, I think" dribble with Euler's equations...

Comment

Working...
                      X