• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top University graduates working in Pubs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to be realistic about this.
    If you were employing a barmaid, which one would you choose ?

The one with an english lit degree (good communicator)
    The one with a maths degree (good at giving the right change)
    The one with an engineering degree (good at changing the barrels)

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      You have to be realistic about this.
      If you were employing a barmaid, which one would you choose ?

The one with an english lit degree (good communicator)
      The one with a maths degree (good at giving the right change)
      The one with an engineering degree (good at changing the barrels)

TBH the choice is a bit ropey.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        TBH the choice is a bit ropey.
        the answer is obvious

the one with the biggets t1ts
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There should be a pro forma that is signed when people enroll on stupid university courses.

Studying drama? Please sign here that you accept you'll not get an acting job but you'll be happy doing IT recruitment.

Studying music? Please sign here that you.....

Studying Klingon? Please sign....

anything with an ology or studies in the title? Please sign...

Part of this pro forma states thou shall not whinge you can't get a job because you studied something bloody useless and you were warned up front you'd probably end up doing teaching, a post-grad to become a barrister, walk into IT recruitment / starbucks / bar work or go work for Daddy.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Most grads these days don't know the difference between a barrister and a barista.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Anyway, what's wrong with working in a pub if you're 22 or so? It's work, it's experience of dealing with customers and could even be a route to running your own business. I think some people need to be a bit less snooty about jobs.

Comment

Anyway, what's wrong with working in a pub if you're 22 or so? It's work, it's experience of dealing with customers and could even be a route to running your own business. I think some people need to be a bit less snooty about jobs.
                Nothing I think everyone should work in a shop / bar / cafe etc just to see what its like on that side of the fence.

I had a great time working in a bar whilst studying.
                Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
                  Nothing I think everyone should work in a shop / bar / cafe etc just to see what its like on that side of the fence.
                  Indeed; some people might learn to treat waiters and bar staff like human beings if they spent a while doing the job (and seeing what happens to arrogant customers' food when the chef finds out about them).

Comment

(and seeing what happens to arrogant customers' food when the chef finds out about them).
                    Yes beware of sending food back!

There was a chef at RAF Kinloss caught wanking into the mash potatoes, when interrogated he admitted he been doing it for 3 years !

I only have mashed potatoes at home now!
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post

I had a great time working in a bar whilst studying.
                      +1 Woolworths, Asda, Boots, nightclub and an Xmas stint as a runner at Argos

makes you appreciate it can be hard graft and we are all humans too

During Uni, I did a sandwich degree; 3rd year = 1 year internship.
                      I was the only one that landed an internship in the whole year and I got 2 offers. Coming into the last few months/exams etc again I was the only one finishing uni on the thursday and starting work on the monday.

Beggars belief that my feckless uni mates didnt lift a finger to help themselves during this time. Bumped into one of them a few years ago (graduated 12 years ago) he had just landed his first permie job in a Bank at avp level and was thrilled ... until I told him I was avp at that bank about a decade ago and was contracting now.

On the flipside we have a grad here; economics and statistics on his first rotation. He is assistant PMO to the PMO who is more feckless than my uni mates and the grad is running rings round him

Comment

Working...
                      X