• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hang on, this MY machine -contract dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a contractor, if at all possible I try to bump along causing as little trouble as possible. I have picked a few fights when I can't help myself but it wouldnt be about something like this.
    WGAS if the guy connects and sets stuff up, you can cancel the connection afterwards.
    Quite often see contractors digging heels in over this and that, rarely gets them the respect they think it will, often catches up later when opinions of people are gathered....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      As a contractor, if at all possible I try to bump along causing as little trouble as possible. I have picked a few fights when I can't help myself but it wouldnt be about something like this.
      WGAS if the guy connects and sets stuff up, you can cancel the connection afterwards.
      Quite often see contractors digging heels in over this and that, rarely gets them the respect they think it will, often catches up later when opinions of people are gathered....
      Anyway, best to have a personal machine and a work machine. Let him connect to your work machine, it's not where you do any personal stuff.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

He could also be installing something like LogMeIn which will give him remote access to set the VPN up remotely rather than over the phone, which to be fair I wouldn't have a problem with. All he's trying to do is to save himself some time and it's easier to set these things up remotely rather than talking somebody through it on the phone.

Just ask him what he wants to install.

GE

Comment

As NATS, the moment I read 'turn off your firewall' I'd advise you stood your ground. As for making waves, I think mentioning the words I was asked to turn off network security, which I didn't consider good practise, would go down well.

As for the condescending bulltulip from Gentile, have a giggle at her different collars and cuffs; I have been in IT for close to 20 years now, and there are areas I have no idea of what to do, and also no interest either; we're not all nerds and need to know about everything, for it doesn't make anyone better or worse. Having 7 clients, well, that shouts out as much as you need to know.

Comment

I agree with EO: I wouldn't want client's IT making any changes to my equipment. If they want full control like this, then they can supply a laptop.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you are asking to use your system on his network, I do not see a problem with him needing access to your system, if you are not happy use a ClientCo computer
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Why don't you create a VM for them to set it up on, that way if it gets burned, you only lose a VM.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X