• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Todays rubbish job £18.12 per hour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Data Analyst/SQL server Berkshire, £145 per day Contract Data Analyst, Advanced Excel, MS SQL Server, Transact SQL

We are looking for a Data Analyst with advanced Excel skills and SQL knowledge, for a 6 month customer project in Berkshire. Candidates must have a deeper understanding of the following:

-Views - Sub-queries - Stored Procedures - Triggers - Temporary tables - Dynamic SQL/stored procedures - Correlated sub-queries - ETL or Extract, Transform, Load - SSIS or SQL Server Integration Services - SSRS or SQL Server Reporting Services - DBA or Database Administrator.

Excellent analytical skills and ideally a qualification in this field, and proven skills around data manipulation, analysis and reporting. Strong written and verbal communication skills are also required as this role will involve liason with stakeholders.

Immediate start required, please forward your CV for consideration.

Applicants must be eligible to work in the specified location Location Berkshire, UK Industry IT Start Date Immediate Duration 5 months Rate £145 per day Employment Business IDPP Contact Giulia Lombardozzi Email Contact This Employment Business Reference JS Posted Date 01/11/2012 11:48:42 Permalink Data Analyst/SQL server job - Berkshire - November-01-2012 (C2xss)
    Scary. That list of skills should pull in at LEAST 300/day regardless. I hope some blagger takes it and runs with it.

Comment

Fresh of the presses.....

MI Analyst Manchester, £110 - £150 per day Contract An opportunity has arisen for an experience Access/Excel VBA developer to design and produce ad-hoc reports required by senior management.

In addition to reporting, you will also helps to develop and support a number of global applications.

Key responsibilities

* The creation and distribution of management information spanning across several businesses. This is done by executing working procedures to cover daily, weekly and monthly MIS processes. It requires documentation and maintenance of these procedures, processes and the related scripts and code.
      . Using a combination of technical and operations knowledge to produce ad hoc MIS data analysis, as requested by management.
      . Apply a creative approach to data analysis to produce engaging statistics which help management with decision making, and clearly indicate business risks.
      . Design and development of applications to solve short term business challenges. This includes documentation and maintenance of the solutions, the training of users and the presentation of these solutions to management.

Essential skills:

* Advanced skills in Excel (with VBA), MS Access (with VBA) and MS PowerPoint. Also experience in building databases in MS Access and SQL Server. For Excel this includes creating automated charts and graphics.
      . The ability to communicate with the business, and convert these discussions into results.
      . Ability to participate in and help deliver change projects
      . Strong understanding what a control environment means and can recognise control gaps
      . Experience working to deadlines and managing their own time accordingly
      . Able to work under their own initiative

Working for a Global organisation, the team provides technology support to tactical operations.

If you would like to apply for the role of MI Analyst or find out more, please apply online or contact Kayley Keary at Robert Walters on (see below) or call +44(0) 161214 7421 quoting the reference 1731410.

So £13.75 to 18.75 an hour.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

So £13.75 to 18.75 an hour.
        If this was a permie role it doesnt sound unreasonable for Manchester and the requirements seem quite low. A bit of VBA to produce reports, low skill levels really.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          If this was a permie role it doesnt sound unreasonable for Manchester and the requirements seem quite low. A bit of VBA to produce reports, low skill levels really.
          First off, its not a permie role. Seccondly, look at the list of what they want. Its not a bit of VBA to do a few reports. It looks like they want a data analyst with VBA skils who can dig about in their data to produce meaningful reports who will build/test/document the reporting tools using a combination of SQL server, access and Excel and automated with VBA. If the databases were already there and it was just somebody to crank the reports then I'd agree with you but it looks like they are after more than that!

This line
          "Also experience in building databases in MS Access and SQL Server."
          suggest that they are
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

First off, its not a permie role. Seccondly, look at the list of what they want. Its not a bit of VBA to do a few reports. It looks like they want a data analyst with VBA skils who can dig about in their data to produce meaningful reports who will build/test/document the reporting tools using a combination of SQL server, access and Excel and automated with VBA. If the databases were already there and it was just somebody to crank the reports then I'd agree with you but it looks like they are after more than that!

This line
            "Also experience in building databases in MS Access and SQL Server."
            suggest that they are
            Thats why I used the word "If" to start my reply. To me that spec is easy peasy, building databases is easy too.

The only bit that would concern me (not that Id work for that sum) is the bit where it says "Strong understanding what a control environment means and can recognise control gaps" which gets my bulltulip alarms going off, so probably somewhere I couldnt stand.

Comment

Thats why I used the word "If" to start my reply. To me that spec is easy peasy, building databases is easy too.

The only bit that would concern me (not that Id work for that sum) is the bit where it says "Strong understanding what a control environment means and can recognise control gaps" which gets my bulltulip alarms going off, so probably somewhere I couldnt stand.
              Building databases is not easy. If it were you wouldn't see the same types of role being banded about an much higher rates. Its essentailly the skillset I have an I'm on £500 a day (although only for the next week). I've seen roles in Manchester that are paying that rate for people to screw PC's together - Are you saying that knowing Access VBA/Excel VBA and SQL Server is on a par to knowing how to insert a memory stick? It's the mentality that working with data is 'easy peasy' that shows itself when it comes to interviewing people. There are plenty of people out there who think they can build a database because they can query a flat file table in Access or think they can do VBA because they know where the recorder is.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Building databases is not easy. If it were you wouldn't see the same types of role being banded about an much higher rates. Its essentailly the skillset I have an I'm on £500 a day (although only for the next week). I've seen roles in Manchester that are paying that rate for people to screw PC's together - Are you saying that knowing Access VBA/Excel VBA and SQL Server is on a par to knowing how to insert a memory stick? It's the mentality that working with data is 'easy peasy' that shows itself when it comes to interviewing people. There are plenty of people out there who think they can build a database because they can query a flat file table in Access or think they can do VBA because they know where the recorder is.
                Well, as someone who writes systems from scratch and integrates them with other peoples systems / databases to me its easy.

I dont tend to do much VBA as I find it a bit amateurish, and I prefer to write my code as a stand alone program that then drives the spreadsheet (if a spreadsheet is needed as the presentation layer.) My current client coined the term "Escape's magic spreadsheets" which I quite like. Some of my recents programs live in the system tray in the same way that MSN messenger does and are automatically rerunning queries every 15 minutes (to give such figures as order intake for instance), which then drive the spreadsheets if someone wants more detailed info.

Easy is relative.
                Last edited by escapeUK; 2 November 2012, 13:04.

Comment

Well, as someone who writes systems from scratch and integrates them with other peoples systems / databases to me its easy.

I dont tend to do much VBA as I find it a bit amateurish, and I prefer to write my code as a stand alone program that then drives the spreadsheet (if a spreadsheet is needed as the presentation layer.) My current client coined the term "Escape's magic spreadsheets" which I quite like. Some of my recents programs live in the system tray in the same way that MSN messenger does and are automatically rerunning queries every 15 minutes (to give such figures as order intake for instance), which then drive the spreadsheets if someone wants more detailed info.

Easy is relative.
                  Shudder. Sounds like the sort of thing that is built as a stop-gap but ends up in production use for 10 years, "enhanced" by a string of people who ultimately vanish leaving hundreds of linked spreadsheets to later be untangled by a poor unsuspecting systems replacement programme.
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Easy is relative.
                    But that's just you. There are probably things that Stephen Hawkings finds a piece of pi55 that you might struggle to get your head around. VBA may be amateurish but it does lend itself to getting things done quickly. And what do you write your magic code in?

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                      Shudder. Sounds like the sort of thing that is built as a stop-gap but ends up in production use for 10 years, "enhanced" by a string of people who ultimately vanish leaving hundreds of linked spreadsheets to later be untangled by a poor unsuspecting systems replacement programme.
                      It does have a ring of I'm the only one who can do this so you'll have to keep me here forever about it.

To be honest I've seen the same thing happen with spreadsheets and Databases written in noddy VBA. They get built as a workaound for whatever big system has been delivered which fails to meet all the goals or cannot be changed quickly or easily to meet a change in the business. As they stay there for longer they get a life of their own to the point that they become critical. At one place I was at recently, the traders daily P&L sheets were produced by a series of Excel spreadsheets that were developed in Excel 97 and had their initail roots in Lotus 123. Nobody in the business seemed to know how they worked or the logic in them and didn't want to touch them because of this.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X