• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract with Games Company - cool or what?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didnt even get onto the subject of hours. :-)

I asked if there was any WFH/flexible working and they said no. Then I asked rate and it was poor so that was the end of that one.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

An old mate worked in the graphics side of games, he said it was quite cut throat. With games they were working on suddenly cancelled as the company that commissioned it didnt like where it was going / looking, the house would then be looking for new work and if nothing turned up it often involved redundancies. The the houses tended to try to have multiple projects.

Also as a game was approaching being complete lots of extra hours were expected, this did involve an element of playing the game looking for bugs.

Comment

Its just not worth it. And in the end if the Metacritic score is not a minimum of 8 for the game you worked on then you don't get to work in games no more.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          My cousin's stepson is one of the top games designers and developers in the country if not the World, and I got him started when he was about 10, by showing him how to code an ellipse drawing routine.
          And now he's running circles round you...

Comment

funnily enough i watched a film on Netflix last night called Indie Game which was quite an interesting fly on the wall documntary style film about a couple of different guys trying to get games onto Xbox arcade. worth a watch

Comment

Waddingtons? You'll only get bored.

What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X