• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should bankruptcy wipe out debt to ex-spouses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Actually I knew what mine was like before I even married her, so really I'm totally to blame for the situation in that respect.
    So why an earth did you marry her?

I hope you are continuing your happy streak since the divorce

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      So why an earth did you marry her?

I hope you are continuing your happy streak since the divorce
      I am a reformed

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Personally I say no. The family courts are clearly totally corrupt and beyond logic. Any man who gets married deserves all he gets.
        I'm surprised by this response. Why the debt to his wife should survive the bankruptcy is beyond me.

Maybe he could challenge the original order in light of the fact he's skint.

Comment

My cousin and his girlfriend had a child. When they broke up they both wanted the boy but she got to keep him despite having a criminal records for drugs and having no job etc.

He had to fight her in court to get custody, won it and then when he came over to discuss the move she had some of her friends waiting there and they stabbed him in the throat and killed him. This was the women who was initially judged to be a more stable loving parent.

The law is absurdly biased in favour of the mother when it comes to custody. My brother is also having to jump through ridiculous hoops to keep seeing his sons as she gradually tries to turn them against him - even though she left him and walked out of the family house etc.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

OK chaps this seems like a great thread to tell my story....

I'm married. My wifes family is very wealthy and she was given some money to buy our first home. She insisted that I didn't get a mortgage because the money was already there for it.

The plan is that she has bought the house, and has spent some money on the refurb (because we bought a dilapidated shell). I will be paying for ALL food and bills, plus I'll be buying some bits and pieces, but probably no more than £3-4k on the actual house itself.

So how should I feel in 10 years time if we break up? We've talked about this, and she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.

Never been in this situation, hoping I don't ever get into that situation, but what is a fair scenario in this respect? If I've paid bills for 10 years as well has just spent 5 months of my life managing the builders/suppliers and council for the work we are doing.

I know for a fact that if I were a woman I'd expect a full half. Being a reasonable man, I've said something along the lines of "well I don't want to take away your inheritance, but if the house has doubled in value then I would expect to geta proportion of those profits, bearing in mind that I was involved in the refurb and that I will have been paying bills all these years."

What do you chaps recon?

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post

I'm married. My wifes family is very wealthy and she was given some money to buy our first home. She insisted that I didn't get a mortgage because the money was already there for it.

The plan is that she has bought the house, and has spent some money on the refurb (because we bought a dilapidated shell). I will be paying for ALL food and bills, plus I'll be buying some bits and pieces, but probably no more than £3-4k on the actual house itself.

So how should I feel in 10 years time if we break up? We've talked about this, and she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.

Never been in this situation, hoping I don't ever get into that situation, but what is a fair scenario in this respect? If I've paid bills for 10 years as well has just spent 5 months of my life managing the builders/suppliers and council for the work we are doing.

I know for a fact that if I were a woman I'd expect a full half. Being a reasonable man, I've said something along the lines of "well I don't want to take away your inheritance, but if the house has doubled in value then I would expect to geta proportion of those profits, bearing in mind that I was involved in the refurb and that I will have been paying bills all these years."

What do you chaps recon?
              I reckon you should have talked about this BEFORE you got married.

Comment

What do you chaps recon?
                Has she stipulated a notice period? Always negotiate a notice period.

BTW, if she dies and you're still married you'll get the lot. Just saying like.

Comment

What do you chaps recon?
                  If you wouldn't get half the profits I reckon she should be paying half the bills.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

she says that I shouldn't expect anything and that if I'm worried about the future I should save or buy a rental property.
                    Then your marriage is stuffed. DO NOT HAVE KIDS. The sooner you divorce her the better - you will get half.

Or wait until she inherits then dovorce her.

Comment

What do you chaps recon?
                      And they say chivalry is dead.

FWIW, I doubt it'd be up to your wife what you'd get if you were to split up. It'd be for a divorce court judge to decide which of you had hired the best lawyer. It's unlikely that her name merely being on the mortgage and yours not being would make a blind bit of difference. Plenty of ex-wives that are later awarded half the value of a family home haven't been the named mortgage holder in their marital homes. Whether you're named on the mortgage or not, it's still an asset that comes out of your marital efforts together. Unless you've signed a prenup to the contrary, you'd be likely to get half the profits from its sale/present value should you split up. (And even a prenup isn't a sure-fire way to guarantee that one party to a marriage will be able to walk away with all the monetary wealth that the marriage has resulted in - British courts don't like pre-nuptial agreements, and usually don't honour them).

Comment

Working...
                      X