• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cookware

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We would have had better pans if Thatcher hadn't have got in power.

Le Crueset are a bit too classy for me. they cost more than 8.99 don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
      Le Crueset are a bit too classy for me. they cost more than 8.99 don't they?
      umm Yes.

But then I figure if I'm going to have a new kitchen, an expensive new cooker, all my current pans are cr@p and dont work with the new cooker then I might as well treat myself to some nice pans, especially as it's been a good year workwise in chef towers and I enjoy cooking.
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Over 5 hours and nobody has started a thread about arab straps yet.

How this forum has fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Over 5 hours and nobody has started a thread about arab straps yet.

How this forum has fallen.
          wtf are they?

Comment

I would always choose gas, but we moved into a house with a reasonably new induction so we weren't going to throw it out and have been pleasantly surprised.

The only cookware we had that didn't work were some non-stick frying pans. You have to look around a little for induction compatible non-stick. Stainless steel saucepans and 20 year old le creusets work fine. If you like to put your roasting tin on the hob while you're putting your roasties in you need to make sure that works as well.

The only annoyance is that my little coffee pot didn't work.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
              umm Yes.

But then I figure if I'm going to have a new kitchen, an expensive new cooker, all my current pans are cr@p and dont work with the new cooker then I might as well treat myself to some nice pans, especially as it's been a good year workwise in chef towers and I enjoy cooking.
              If you invest now, you'll have cookware for a hell of a long time, I've had some of my stuff for years and they are still going strong.

Why anyone buys cheap tat for cooking when they'll end up spending more replacing it year in, year out is beyond me.

Also make sure you invest in some good knives with a decent sharpner.

You might want to investigate Staub pans as well.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                If you invest now, you'll have cookware for a hell of a long time, I've had some of my stuff for years and they are still going strong.

Why anyone buys cheap tat for cooking when they'll end up spending more replacing it year in, year out is beyond me.

Also make sure you invest in some good knives with a decent sharpner.

You might want to investigate Staub pans as well.
                My thoughts exactly, I originally had some nice WMF Professional Adoised pans that I was quite fond of but mad ex Gf chef thought that a wire brush and putting them in the dishwasher would get them extra clean, hence resorting back to the cr@ppy student pans.

I definitely plan to invest in some decent pans as both soon to be mrs chef and I both enjoy cooking. The only question is what. I was seriously tempted by the look and reviews of Ronneby Bruk from Sweden but even my love of cooking hesitates at the thought of 300+ for a single pan, although they do look very nice. Le Creuset are still the favourites so far after looking at Lodge and Staub as other viable contenders.
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

My thoughts exactly, I originally had some nice WMF Professional Adoised pans that I was quite fond of but mad ex Gf chef thought that a wire brush and putting them in the dishwasher would get them extra clean, hence resorting back to the cr@ppy student pans.

I definitely plan to invest in some decent pans as both soon to be mrs chef and I both enjoy cooking. The only question is what. I was seriously tempted by the look and reviews of Ronneby Bruk from Sweden but even my love of cooking hesitates at the thought of 300+ for a single pan, although they do look very nice. Le Creuset are still the favourites so far after looking at Lodge and Staub as other viable contenders.
                  My BiL thought it fine to take a caserole dish out of the oven and place it directly on my new beech worktop.

1 week old.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                    My BiL thought it fine to take a caserole dish out of the oven and place it directly on my new beech worktop.

1 week old.
                    Serves you right for letting a baby play with hot pans.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

umm Yes.

You're asking the wrong question.
                      If you enjoy cooking don't get an induction cooker, it's simply not as responsive* as a gas cooker, as any pro chef worth their salt will tell you and as you can see in any top restaurant kitchen.

Edit: Actually induction is slightly better for boiling liquids and the like but useless where you have to toss the food or take the pan away from the heat for a while. We tried an induction but are going back to gas.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 24 September 2012, 17:09.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X