• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting rid of your landline!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post

Is it possible to set up a computer so you effectively have a landline through that & maybe even a couple of cheeky wire free phones around the house?!!!
    Only if you live in a cable area.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Only if you live in a cable area.
      You mean using a cable, i.e. a line, that goes over/in the land?

I keep being put off Infinity because of the 18-month minimum term, as I'm only a tenant and don't really want to commit 18 months ahead. Of course if I'd just signed up a year ago, I'd now only have 6 months to worry about.

Being able to move is one advantage of mobile.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Haven't had a landline for ages. Well, we had a Virgin one when it was cheaper to get the full bundle but didn't have a phone plugged in.

soho66 are good for voip

Comment

I went with fibre and a phoneline from plusnet for 19.99 can't really argue with that.

Comment

I have the Virgin bundle without phone plugged in. Actually I don't even have a physical phone at all. It is the same price as TV + Broadband, give or take 50p.

Remember that having a 'landline' number is useful for credit applications. They don't ask whether your landline works, or whether you have a phone plugged in
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              I have the Virgin bundle without phone plugged in. Actually I don't even have a physical phone at all. It is the same price as TV + Broadband, give or take 50p.
              They use to virtually refused to give you anything without a phone line.

I think they finally caught on that a few people weren't putting a phone in them so it wasn't the money spinner they thought.

Remember that having a 'landline' number is useful for credit applications. They don't ask whether your landline works, or whether you have a phone plugged in
              There are still some stupid companies who refuse to accept your application for lots of things if you don't have a landline number.

It's beyond their simple understanding that you can actually have broadband without a phone line if you happen to live in a cable area.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                There are still some stupid companies who refuse to accept your application for lots of things if you don't have a landline number.
                Carphone Warehouse won't process your contract without an 01 or 02 number. Trying an 03 stops the site in its tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Epiphone View Post
                  Carphone Warehouse won't process your contract without an 01 or 02 number. Trying an 03 stops the site in its tracks.
                  Ive yet to hit a site that doesnt work with 123456 or any random combination of numbers if you want to be less obvious. Not because I dont have a number, but that I dont want ppl ringing me about crap.

Comment

I personally can't wait for 4G and stick a finger up to BT.

I don't live that far from civilisation but only get 1/2Mb connection, probably due to the shocking state of the wire between me and the exchange - much of it lies on the ground unburied, I have a coil of it lying on the ground before it goes up the pole, when it gets to my neighbour, the BT engineer simply pulled it though the middle of his wire fence - no effort to go over or under, it has to be seen to be believed.

I get a decent 3G connection so 4G should be fine and will almost certainly smash BT. I barely use my land line, in fact, not to get Bob phoning constantly would be a bonus.
                    Back at the coal face

Comment

But can you not get a number with a VOIP phone? No one has answered!!! Can you replace all the handsets in your house with a WIFI phone through VOIP on broadband!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X