• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepted a contract and a better one comes along

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in a similiar situation.

I'm in a boring short-term dead-end contract with one week to go. Last week I verbally agreed a 2 month extension (because a bird in the hand etc... and to tide me over til a holiday in the Summer).

Now I have been offered a much better, long-term contract. 50% better rate, closer to home, better work.

I can honour the last week of my current contract, but not the agreed extension.

ALSO, this might be a big problem - I sent an email last week saying I would draw up the contract for the extension, which I suppose constitutes a written agreement to extend?

What would you do? What could they do? Sue me?

Comment

Why don't you talk it through with the hiring manager?

Just be honest. You would rather take this other contract. Tell him your preference.

He will either:

1. Be pissed off and tell you your contract is not being renewed. Result

2. Tell you you must honour it and they will sue you for £10M if you don't take.

3. Offer you something better.

If they chose option two just say hastily SIGNED a contract with the other company and you are really have to leave and that the other company is very serious about you working for them.

If they still pursue option 2, tell them you are planning to invoke your right of substitution clause. (you do have one right )

In the end they'll let you go if you wriggle enough.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the serious reply DimPrawn, you must be sensing that warm .Net vibe through the t'internet.

Comment

Joe, what did you do?

Comment

Working...
          X