• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody here fly model aeroplanes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Take a leaf out of BAe's book and test at Machrihanish/Campbeltown...

Or if you've plenty of money head down to Woomera...
    Good call testing at Machrihanish, I know it well. I did some testing at Woomera in the past
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Good call testing at Machrihanish, I know it well. I did some testing at Woomera in the past
      Me too in my old Ferranti days...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        If you want some 'stick time' without breaking lots of balsa wood 'Leo's RC Sim' on Android is a great way to learn.
        Just tried that out on my tablet
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Electric is the way to go these days as both prop and ducted fan have come on leaps and bounds with brushless technology, the old purists don't like it though.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I used to, its good but it gets very very expensive (Or it did back in the early 00's)

Comment

I've got one. I use it on lefties

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                I took delivery of a Skywalker X8
                Is it only me that looks at that and wonders about Tony Blairs day to day schedule and a possible plan coming together?

(a mere joke m'lud)
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  What was interesting was he said it was possible to fly down to Southampton and then over to the Isle of Wight. Well, the Isle of Wight discussion was interesting. He said he'd never done it but as you hit the coast you lose the up air flows and drift slowly across the sea with squeaky pants all the way.
                  I knew someone that did the IoW crossing by hang glider (he's dead now). You have to be bonkers.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Finally.

Built the AXN Floater jet, bought all the radio gear and tested. Found a local flying club where I can get training, installed the Plane Master simulator and USB transmitter on one of the PC's.

Just about all set to go depending on weather.

Once I can fly this thing I'll get the Skywalker X8 together and post the onboard video.

Actually quite excited about this, the local shop I bought the gear from needs some help with their ecommerce site and the club needs help with their website so putting all this together won't cost me anything.

Not quite the same as flying the real thing but as good as it gets without shelling out for landing fees.
                    Last edited by Cliphead; 17 September 2012, 20:56.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

I've had a dabble at looking into this for a potential plan b (it looked expensive).

CAA says you can't fly them outside of your sight, so autonomous gps flight is out of the question unless you file all sorts with them.

Haven't got to the bottom of it all yet, and the rules seem to be in a slight state of flux, but they are basically covered as model airplanes and you need to file a flight plan if you're going close to any buildings etc.

TBH though, you live it he back of beyond, who will know?
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X