• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lotus Notes v 8.5.3 is now available, please upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are HSBC still using Notes?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Well since they own it they are hardly likely to use a competing product are they.
      Why not? They don't use OS/2 as a desktop although you have the option of their Linux desktop (but based on Redhat) But yeah, you're quite right many tech companies don't use Lotus Notes but then again it wasn't originally designed as an e-mail client but as a groupware product.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Notes seems to survive in those industries where technology is not part of the end product. Manufacturing, engineering, mining and quarrying all seem to use Notes by default ( at least every client I've worked with in those areas has).

As a mail system it's pretty crap, as a shared services systems it's actually pretty good. Knock up a bespoke application or a database, drop it into the Notes system and it's available for everyone with Notes access to use. It's got some good features for collaborative working etc. The problem is most people don't bother with any of that, they just use it for email.
        I liked Lotus Notes when we had it, and it was extremely good where someone had taken the effort to implement the collaborative stuff you mention. I used it for keeping logs of what I'd done to which systems.

That got replaced by some flavour of Outlook which crashed all over the shop and mangled emails, and none of us were impressed.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

When I was at IBM using Lotus for email was just terrible. Random crashes, killnotes.exe, dying over the vpn. Must have knocked a few hours of productivity off an average work week.

"Is email down for you, as well?"
          "Let me check - nope not working for me either... oh wait... no, no, it's hung..."

Pretty much every day.

Odd that that would be allowed for something so business critical.

Comment

Working...
          X