• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What you hate about hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many cushions? Better than not enough and does towel art really bother people? Feck me get a life FFS!!

The only things that annoy me is the 'faux environmental concern" when they are trying to save money and extortionate wifi charges.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post

They left out expensive laundry "services" that shrink your stuff. Seriously, if your job is to wash clothes and you can't manage to launder a T-shirt without reducing it five sizes, you really need to re-think your choice of career.
      Or maybe you need to rethink your choice of crappy cheap T-shirt, or else buy one five sizes too large and shrink-wash it first yourself.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Too many cushions? Better than not enough and does towel art really bother people? Feck me get a life FFS!!

The only things that annoy me is the 'faux environmental concern" when they are trying to save money and extortionate wifi charges.
        The small cups can be annoying too
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Stayed at the Hilton, Tower Bridge a month or so ago, girlfiends mobile was low/dead and she'd not got charger so decided to ring me from hotel room phone. 5x short calls getting my answer phone and one 4-5 minute chat £36!

GF needed to contact me and knew it wouldnt be cheap but we were surprised at the cost, that and rip off WIFI charges means I wont be staying at a Hilton again. Its not like the 'Premier Room' or whatever they call it was cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Barley View Post
            to ring me from hotel room phone. 5x short calls getting my answer phone and one 4-5 minute chat £36!
            I thought those days were over. When everyone started using their mobile, I thought that hotels lowered their charges to encourage people to use the phone. Clearly that's not the case at Hilton

Comment

I've never ever been confused by a tap.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Towel Art? Really, people get het up about that?

The environmental thing bugs me but I still feel guilty using every single towel.

I want plenty of tea bags in the room though and a mug, not a stupid cup that only equates to a splash of water!!

I quite like all the cushions
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I was once confused by a plug

It was one of these ones which spin in the hole, it was in the "plugged" position when I got into the room. Later on, after using the sink I gave up trying to find the lever to raise the plug and left it full of water.
                  It was only the next day, after the room had been serviced that I realised what sort of plug it was

My only defense is that it was about midnight when I checked in and was a bit tired. It was also a brand new hotel and was the first night it was operational
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I have; it seems that some designers have indulged their wildest fantasies by dreaming up wierd and wonderful ways of disguising the basic 'water - stop, water - flow, water- flow a bit harder' functionality behind a visually pleasing, artistic and curvaceous metal form that looks almost erotic, but doesn't actually work very well, and have combined this with a flat, shallow slab of granite (or more often fake granite) that doesn't so much act as a receptacle for flowing water as a redirecting weapon for leaving wet stains on one's trousers.

In fact I am of the conviction that the high point of washbasin and tap design was reached by the Shanks company somewhere in the 1950s or earlier, and that all subsequent innovations have been entirely unnecessary and have sometimes even degraded functionality of said equipment.

This is how a washbasin and taps should look. It's quite alright if necessity demands adaptation of size to either fit in a small room or allow a more sumptuous personal hygiene regime, but the basic format is good, so STOP PISSING AROUND WITH IT!

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      I have; it seems that some designers have indulged their wildest fantasies by dreaming up wierd and wonderful ways of disguising the basic 'water - stop, water - flow, water- flow a bit harder' functionality behind a visually pleasing, artistic and curvaceous metal form that looks almost erotic, but doesn't actually work very well, and have combined this with a flat, shallow slab of granite (or more often fake granite) that doesn't so much act as a receptacle for flowing water as a redirecting weapon for leaving wet stains on one's trousers.

In fact I am of the conviction that the high point of washbasin and tap design was reached by the Shanks company somewhere in the 1950s or earlier, and that all subsequent innovations have been entirely unnecessary and have sometimes even degraded functionality of said equipment.

This is how a washbasin and taps should look. It's quite alright if necessity demands adaptation of size to either fit in a small room or allow a more sumptuous personal hygiene regime, but the basic format is good, so STOP PISSING AROUND WITH IT!

I prefer a mixer tap personally
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X