• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running When Tired

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Possibly the worst run of my life

Couldn't get into a comfortable rhythm and so form, posture and breathing was all over the place
    Legs then fell asleep after a mile

Decided to pack it in before I damaged something
    ah, but did you sleep well afterwards?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I cannot abide running and frankly just cannot do it. Always found that after a short while my back starts to hurt and it's one of the dullest things you can do in the world. I prefer cycling.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

surely 3 miles at a 5 min/km pace is better than 10 miles at a "slightly faster than a old person in a wheelchair" pace?

anyhoot taking some inspiration from BP, have just signed up for my first ever race, nothing mental, just 10km at night and it's in a months time. Given that I've only ever run 6km to date (at a pace of 5mins/km) then it should be fun training for it. No sponsorship or anything like that, the charity donation is included in the entry fee.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I used to run a lot whilst training to join the marines as an officer (way back in my Uni days). Got shin splints really badly. To the point where I couldn't walk down stairs in the morning and had to go down on my bum like a child. They'd ease off during the day and then I'd do my training all over again that evening.
          Never again...don't run at all now.
          But to answer the OP.....you should always stick to the routine. Missing a day once so easily becomes missing it more often as you think you'll be fine...right to the point where you're only able to run 3 miles again....oh.
          Well done for getting out there even if you didn't finish.
          Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            anyhoot taking some inspiration from BP, have just signed up for my first ever race, nothing mental, just 10km at night and it's in a months time. Given that I've only ever run 6km to date (at a pace of 5mins/km) then it should be fun training for it. No sponsorship or anything like that, the charity donation is included in the entry fee.

5mins/km is fast! I run at 10mins/mile max - 6.25 mins/km.

What time do you start?

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
              I used to run a lot whilst training to join the marines as an officer (way back in my Uni days). Got shin splints really badly. To the point where I couldn't walk down stairs in the morning and had to go down on my bum like a child. They'd ease off during the day and then I'd do my training all over again that evening.
              But to answer the OP.....you should always stick to the routine. Missing a day once so easily becomes missing it more often as you think you'll be fine...right to the point where you're only able to run 3 miles again....oh.
              +1

Just to add that if preparing for an event try 10 minute warm up then 3 minute sprint. Enough to keep the muscles going while still tapering.

As ever with exercise, its getting going that is tough! Once you start its lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
                Is it true shin splints are caused by underdeveloped calf muscles - the impact on the shin is not cushioned enough? So if you build up that muscle, the shin splint disappears. I used to get them when the football season restarted, if I had not exercised for a few months. A few weeks back into it and they would disappear. That's all a long time ago.

With the running, I think it's better to always finish the run, even if you have to walk it. Psychological. You then make it a game about beating your previous time. I usually run about 5m once a week and I do intense cardio and a little weights twice a week for about 40 minutes. That seems to keep me fit enough so far. I aim to reduce the running and get into swimming in the next few years when I hit 40.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I cannot abide running and frankly just cannot do it. Always found that after a short while my back starts to hurt and it's one of the dullest things you can do in the world. I prefer cycling.
                  Could not agree more, the only thing duller than running is talking to anyone who runs, they can't wait to tell you the pointless mileage and timing associated. Worst of all is someone who has stumbled round a marathon acting like they have changed the world.

Comment

Running when tired isnt a good idea. You have no form, pick up injuries, have no stamina etc, etc. (Oh, I see you finally realised!)

Fact is, even athletes dont train when tired. They have a regime that gives them rest days because the body needs time to recover and get rid of lactic acid.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

5mins/km is fast! I run at 10mins/mile max - 6.25 mins/km.

What time do you start?
                      cheers BP.

The race is an 20:30 start, as it's only 10km it'll be all over by 21:30 ish. It's nothing very serious, there is a 5km circuit and you can choose to run or walk 5km or 10km, I know I can do 5km as I did that before breakfast today so I thought why not put in for the 10km. the main point is the entry fee for the charity donation with a local Kölsch band thrown in to keep the crowd entertained and also promotional event for Energizer batteries as they give everyone a headtorch. linky But for me it's my first foray into running a race rather than just for personal fitness and seeing if I can better my aim of 50mins.
                      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                      X