• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why does private education produce so many medal winners?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    How long did he get? My mate got 6 years. Though he was only caught as he was grassed up. The rest of the gang are still trying to hunt the snitch down.
    Not sure. 6 sounds about right but it was some time ago.

Comment

Why does private education produce so many medal winners?

Actually it doesn't. Jessica Ennis, Greg Rutherford, Mo Farah, Andy Murray .... I don't see a lot of private education there. Just a lot of achievers who don't need privilege to make it.

So let me ask this instead: why do so many people claim that private education produces better results? Could it be that they have a political axe to grind, more important to them than the facts?
      Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 6 August 2012, 11:37.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        Actually it doesn't. Jessica Ennis, Greg Rutherford, Mo Farah, Andy Murray .... I don't see a lot of private education there. Just a lot of achievers who don't need privilege to make it.
        The figures say it does, just rolling out some names whilst ignoring the fact that something like 50% of the medals are won by the 15% that are privately educated proves the point.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

One of my chav mates was getting quite good at shooting. Until the fooking system locked him up.
          Blasting holes in bank ceilings with a sawn-off shotgun doesn't count
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Football shows that kids from state schools are just as capable of achievement in sport as any other schools, and I would add music and academia to that. The difference is of course background and facilities as well as aspirations and encouragement.
            I go back to my original argument that the left are responsible for dumbing down all of these things - the only thing thay have failed to stop is football.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Football shows that kids from state schools are just as capable of achievement in sport as any other schools, and I would add music and academia to that. The difference is of course background and facilities as well as aspirations and encouragement.
              I go back to my original argument that the left are responsible for dumbing down all of these things - the only thing thay have failed to stop is football.
              Which planet are you on? Has it escaped your attention that we are far from the best at football?
              And you blame lefties for dumbing down education, yet clever, hardworking and aspirational kids can do well wherever they are. I blame the parents myself.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

me n the missus were discussing this last night and we reckoned that the 'average' parent is unwilling/unable to provide the full level of commitment and support required to be a great athlete.

e.g. all the weekends/evenings ferrying the kids to and from various places can put a huge strain on time and money for the average parent.

obviosuly the rich and those in boarding schools do not have the time/money issues.

talent is a common thing and it is wasted every day.

Comment

It is not just that the average parent is unwilling to put the effort in. Olympic athletes are training for it from a very young age, that Heptatholon girl who was on 'League of their own' said she was being given protein drinks (or something like that) when she was 4.

It seems more like Olympic athletes have parents who drive them into to from a very young age and also happen to have natural aptitude for sport and the drive to make the relevant sacrifices to succeed.

This is, of course, then made much easier by having top notch equipment and expert coaches.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Which planet are you on? Has it escaped your attention that we are far from the best at football?
                    And you blame lefties for dumbing down education, yet clever, hardworking and aspirational kids can do well wherever they are. I blame the parents myself.
                    I agree
                    Da
                    Hot from Mars
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It's commonly said that it takes 10000 hours to be "great" at something.

Very few parents that time to devote to their offspring an still support them.

Interesting move into the Chinese approach is being made by a few of the forward looking sports (swimming, cycling, rowing) whereby young adults with the correct body shape (e.g. lanky folk for rowing) are picked an given the correct training.
                      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                      X