• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perspective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by insur View Post
    Out of curiosity Gentile, how long would it take to get a decent permie .net job up north?
    Ironically, if you're looking for contract roles, about 10 seconds. I've turned down three definite offers for permie roles at decent salaries in the past 12 months, one of which I applied for the other two of which came looking for me.

Of course, it's always more difficult if a permie role is what you're actually looking for. I've started exploring permie roles this month with the paucity of contracts that have been on offer, and all you get is "why do you want to go permanent?", and other nonsense like asking you which University you went to etc, despite the fact that it's been 15 years since I left.

There's one particular company up here that nobody entertains any more that was constantly asking for a degree from a "Red Brick University" in their adverts. Tell them that you actually went to one of the Ancient Universities instead, and they'd say no that wasn't good enough. It was as clear a case of "I don't think that word means what you think it means" as I've ever seen.

Comment

Not a bad effort.

I trust you won't mind me casting a critical eye over your work and elucidating a few areas in which I feel you could improve.

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
      When I did some due diligence to check them out, I wasn't further reassured.
      Very poor. perhaps you should do some due diligence to construct this sentence in a more elegant manner.

However, the interview itself took place in a noisy work canteen, which tbh I found a bit distracting.
      Do not EVER use this, not even in its abbreviated form. Whatever next? At the end of the day?

note to self: next time you are asked this particular question, simply say "yes", and leave it at that).
      TUT TUT! Plagiarism. That's Pacha stylie and he's not even around to claim credit for it any more.

As an example, I went on to talk about a project I'd done for the police involving other technical staff and serving police officers...
      Clumsy

I unwisely quipped that, as I'd never been arrested myself, my only knowledge of the police's working practices had necessarily come from speaking directly with those police officers that were experts in the process being modelled.
      Not sure about the use of this adverb here.

All in all pretty good. Your spelling is good, though I feel you have a small problem with misplaced commas and you incorporate a refreshing levity into your style of writing. There is, however, another word that rhymes with levity which I feel you may need to take into account in any future exercises that you choose to undertake; brevity.

6/10 - pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
        Not a bad effort.

I trust you won't mind me casting a critical eye over your work and elucidating a few areas in which I feel you could improve.

Very poor. perhaps you should do some due diligence to construct this sentence in a more elegant manner.

Do not EVER use this, not even in its abbreviated form. Whatever next? At the end of the day?

TUT TUT! Plagiarism. That's Pacha stylie and he's not even around to claim credit for it any more.

Clumsy

Not sure about the use of this adverb here.

All in all pretty good. Your spelling is good, though I feel you have a small problem with misplaced commas and you incorporate a refreshing levity into your style of writing. There is, however, another word that rhymes with levity which I feel you may need to take into account in any future exercises that you choose to undertake; brevity.

6/10 - pass.
        Back off. You're out of your depth and cannot punctuate.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

Actually, I think it was Bridget Jones.

Comment

jeez
            she must have wrists like a female Chinese Olympic weightlifter to type that in one session
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              jeez
              she must have wrists like a female Chinese Olympic weightlifter to type that in one session
              When you haven't even mastered the Shift key yet, any level of typing skill must seem impressive, EO.

Comment

When you haven't even mastered the Shift key yet, any level of typing skill must seem impressive, EO.
                dont try to get round me with your womanly wiles. and anyway, what was it all about
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  dont try to get round me with your womanly wiles. and anyway, what was it all about
                  It was the longish story of my last few interviews, with I'd hope a few funny bits included, designed to make those in a tulip contract realise that you encounter just as much tulip on the bench as you do in any gig, and you don't even get paid for the privilege. I should perhaps have posted it on a Monday for full effect.

Comment

It was the longish story of my last few interviews, with I'd hope a few funny bits included, designed to make those in a tulip contract realise that you encounter just as much tulip on the bench as you do in any gig, and you don't even get paid for the privilege. I should perhaps have posted it on a Monday for full effect.
                    oh. well you are right. 100% right.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Or maybe just not bothered......
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X