• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another gold medal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I can ride a bike forwards, turn it, do one handed, no handed and even pop a wheelie. What skills am I missing from the armoury of the professional cyclist?

I'm not saying I'm not impressed by the fitness levels but it's not a sport as it fails one the 'skill' criteria. Same way that Darts isn't a sport as it doesn't have a fitness element.
    So how come you say that cycling is impressive for it's fitness levels but Darts isn't a sport because it doesn't have a fitness element. By default that suggests that Cycling is a sport, unless you're now saying that you have to have skill and fitness to be a sport.

So on that basis can you please list out the rest of the 'sports' that you'd like to exclude.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      You are a loser.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AtW again.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Darts isn't a sport because it doesn't have a fitness element.
        They should just require drinking of beer prior, during and after the event

Comment

If that was the criteria for success I should be a bloody 10 time World Champion.

Hic.

Comment

And that's just for the fans
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I can ride a bike forwards, turn it, do one handed, no handed and even pop a wheelie. What skills am I missing from the armoury of the professional cyclist?

I'm not saying I'm not impressed by the fitness levels but it's not a sport as it fails one the 'skill' criteria. Same way that Darts isn't a sport as it doesn't have a fitness element.
              I can run. I can even hop. Backwards at a push. What I am I missing from the armoury of the professional athlete?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                I can run. I can even hop. Backwards at a push. What I am I missing from the armoury of the professional athlete?
                Age.

Comment

Age.
                  No, I've got that too.

Comment

So how come you say that cycling is impressive for it's fitness levels but Darts isn't a sport because it doesn't have a fitness element. By default that suggests that Cycling is a sport, unless you're now saying that you have to have skill and fitness to be a sport.

So on that basis can you please list out the rest of the 'sports' that you'd like to exclude.
                    To be a sport both fitness and skill have to come into play.

Hence, cycling, running, rowing, walking are not sports they are fitness and endurance tests. Stuff like darts, shooting, golf and snooker are games defined by just skill. Sports are things like football, rugby, hockey, basketball, volleyball, judo, taekwondo etc etc etc.
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

To be a sport both fitness and skill have to come into play.
                      Winding people up on here should be an Olympic sport then ...

Comment

Working...
                      X