• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ooh dilemma!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck
    Not taking August off now. Have been offered an extension but to do a different job (fortunately, couldn't have stood much more of what I'm doing!). Could have said no but I'm a greedy git. I shall now lament the lost month off that I never had.

Pity. Threaded is right (dammit) about Paris in August. Just be out of it by September, because at the rentrée when everybody's back at work and school, they're really pissed off at being back in Paris. Paris drivers who are unusually pissed off and have not driven in the city for a month, are drivers to stay out of the way of.

Comment

Went to Paris on Eurostar last year in February (no, not a Valentine's trip!) and I was astounded that taxi drivers don't like to take more than three people in their cars! We got hit with a surcharge each time we got in one. It was even written up on the tariff notice in the cars. Why is that?

Comment

I know but,

Originally posted by Fleetwood
        Attention, LM!! I took the summer off last year after a seven year contract came to an end. . Started looking for work in September, couldn't find any and was on the bench until Jan this year. My advice is to take any gig you can.
        Marriage broke up as well during this time. ( or - depending on my mood).
        FW - do I know you ? A couple of things you've mentioned there sound like another contractor I know.
        Did you live in Swindon before the marriage break up ?

Comment

I've been on a contract that's been extending since 2003 and now it's coming to an end due to the client's muppet HR dept. Part of me is looking forward to sitting on my arse and hitting the books, but the other part's bricking it as I'm married now. The rest of 2006 is going to be interesting, that's for sure.

Comment

Jakes DaddyFW - do I know you ? A couple of things you've mentioned there sound like another contractor I know.
            Did you live in Swindon before the marriage break up
            No, sorry, that's not me,JD
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Back in 2002 I finished a five-year contract and couldn't find anything for a few months.

I decided never to stay that long anywhere again - one year max. At the right money I might though.

Comment

I'm now thinking of turning down this new contract. Having thought about what I wanted to achieve during my month off it's really not compatible with doing that work thing. So, I'm going to have a word with the project manager and say I can start six weeks after she wants me to, or not at all if that doesn't fit in with her plans. I'm guessing the response will be fine, sod off!

Comment

Working...
                X