• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project death march

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems ClientCo has been shedding staff for many years and off shoring development.

The staff fall into two categories, the first are the senior PMs who may have been coders backs in the 70's but have no up to date hard skills and therefore are unable contribute or lead on technical matters.

However, they are seasoned pros and know how to play the game and survive. They are the older broad waste line types who stand around posturing and waving their hands. Rather than concentrate on real project detail they are more interested in playing the game to satisfy their boss. It seems they have no desire to learn new skills at their age; they have done their stint and are happy to sit back and pass the baton to the next generation.

The second category is the permie devs\architects, who are very few in number and on incredible salaries, actually eye popping salaries! They report to the aforementioned PMs and what they say is gospel; they pretty much have the run of the place.

A bad word from them would see a contractor like me out of the door in no time.

They are the most ruthless group I have ever come across, they are able to manipulate and twist any situation to their benefit.

They are fully aware that jobs with salaries like theirs do not grow on trees; nothing will be allowed to compromise their positions.

They are fully aware of the issues with the aspect of the project that I have been assigned.
    They have avoided taking on this piece of work themselves and a contractor was hired on their advice.

In a nutshell, the work that has been assigned to me is simply stated as a one line point on the project plan. The project started some time ago and this piece of work was considered small, now the PM will not own up to having understated the work, as doing so may have dire consequences for those on the gravy train.

In a startup meeting I tried to express the amount of work that was involved and highlighted how it needed to be broken down. At this meeting I highlighted all my concerns and a plan was agreed. However, over the coming days the PMs having given it more (political) thought chipped away at the plan and we were back to square one.

In terms of political manipulation I am completely out of my depth with these people. In the space of a week I seem to have surrendered to their will!

I'm a contractor; I'm paid on an hourly rate, perhaps that is all I should be concerned with. I should just play the game, tell them what they want to hear, do as much as I can and run the clock down.

Comment

Ah, I see.

The permie devs spotted that this was a poison chalice and have brought you in to be the fall guy.

Not a lot you can do. They have the ear of the hire ups and unless you can spot something drastic anything you still will be written off as the constant complaining of someone who is out of their depth.

If they are really smart then they will never have actually said to bring in a contractor (certainly they would not have put it in an email) and will have subtly warned that the job could not be done by an external party. Then when you crash they will exaggerate their previous complaints and spin it to look good.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Just get on with it then, report as I suggested earlier, and if someone ever gets on your case about it, you have evidence.

As others have said, it sounds like you may be the fall guy, and it is highly likely nothing you can do will change that.

Who is the client by the way?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about you being tarred with a failed project.

Play the game to an extent, make changes but point out that a full regression test pack will need to be run. Its unlikely they have this, the testers or the environment to fulfil this.

You can sign off your unit tests but caveat that due to lack of knoweldge you cannot verify the downstream impact without afore mentioned testing.

This will sit in your dev environment for 6 months and go nowhere, where the requirements will be dropped, the workarounds will continue and they'll bring in IBM to come and design another failed project to replace the legacy (read - working and stable) platform with a steaming pile of poo that will cost 10X as much and offer a 10th of the functionality.
          Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Try making friends with the grossly overpaid architects? Win friends and influence people? Do some schmoozing yourself?

Do your moaning on paper, and keep your talking friendly and amiable. The skill you are being paid to learn is survival of the fittest. You could learn a thing or too from these permies of which you are so critical.

And above all, keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Try making friends with the grossly overpaid architects? Win friends and influence people? Do some schmoozing yourself?

Never underestimate how important this is. Schmoozing with the right people and in the right way(positive/problem solving/in to together/mutual success) is huge! Huge! This is the difference
              between renewal or termination, success or failure, or not having someone stab in you the back.

Do your moaning on paper, and keep your talking friendly and amiable. The skill you are being paid to learn is survival of the fittest. You could learn a thing or too from these permies of which you are so critical.

Again, could not agree more. Friendly, approachable, professional, knowledgeable and helpful are the key personality traits to use. Keep your moaning for the pub and take your frustrations out on anoymous nerds on a contracting forum.

And above all, keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing
              Who are you? And what have you done with Suityou???
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Give it time and he'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  The penny dropped?

Good, now let's move on.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                  X