• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What tools do you carry in your car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the road car:

foot pump, tow rope, jump leads, hand wipes, old bed throw (to lay on), torch, RAC card + mobi

On the rally car:

as above + full toolbag including useful sizes of spanners, socket set, wheel brace, scissors jack (better than the normal sort that came with car), two spare wheels(with tyres for the pedants ), tyreweld (in case I knacker more than two tyres), hammer, tank tape, large cable ties, tube of BARS stop leak, water, oil, spare plugs and leads, fuses, bulbs, bungees, crowbar, couple of reels of 8A cable, crimps + pliers, spare exhaust rubbers and clamps, gun gum, warning triangle, first aid kit.

Sounds a lot but can make the difference in finishing the event. Plus these days a lot of breakdown companies won't cover competition cars.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

I still wouldnt hide any key in the car. Just my opinion though.
      One winter, I, out of the kindness of my heart, cleared my wife's car of Ice by starting it and letting it get all hot. When finished, I turned the engine off, but left the electric credit card type key in the car. In one hour, it drained the battery flat and this is, apparently, standard fair for those types of keys, they just keep pulling power from the battery for soem reason not clearly explained to me.

Comment

Im just saying if you have a car built in the last 5 to 10 years, have it properly maintained and use the fuel gauge, the only piece of equipment you need is a mobi.

The AA's top ten tips is because fools dont maintain their cars and dont pay attention to the fuel gauge.

I havent had a damp ignition issue since driving an austin in the rain back in 1982. Modern car electrics you can use a powerwash on them (see some car detailing vids of people who keep under the bonnet spotless) and provided you protect the alternator, ECU and ABS unit, the car will start first time on the key.

I still wouldnt hide any key in the car. Just my opinion though.
        We all do foolish things. Almost everyone who breaks down must think, this is the kind of stupid mistake other people make...

Comment

Wrench and a screwdriver , but the wrench is really there for self defense (don't ask).

Comment

Modern car electrics you can use a powerwash on them (see some car detailing vids of people who keep under the bonnet spotless) and provided you protect the alternator, ECU and ABS unit, the car will start first time on the key.
            In Switzerland you are supposed to steam clean your engine compartment in preparation for the equivalent of an MOT test.

Dunno if they cover anything up first. I've let the garage take care of it.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

What do you lot do?
              The other day I noticed a book in my boot, "A History of Bolton". Been there a couple of years, and must have fallen out of a box sometime. Looks too boring to take indoors, so left there for possible emergency reading material during a multi-hour motorway traffic jam.

I don't think it would help with changing a tyre though, and I'm not aware of any other tools in the car. Why would you need them when you can just call the AA or equivalent?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                One winter, I, out of the kindness of my heart, cleared my wife's car of Ice by starting it and letting it get all hot. When finished, I turned the engine off, but left the electric credit card type key in the car. In one hour, it drained the battery flat and this is, apparently, standard fair for those types of keys, they just keep pulling power from the battery for soem reason not clearly explained to me.
                Never had that problem with my Z4 or E93 before it when I've left that type of key engaged during a 7 hour car detail. New cars should go into sleep mode after about 30 minutes even with that type of 'ignition' key left engaged.

Even so, the start button and auto selector LED's remain lit 24 \ 7 and alarm is always 'on'. I didnt use the E93 for 31 days and it still started ok
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

A hammer

Signed
                  Peter Sutcliffe
                  Broadmoor

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    In Switzerland you are supposed to steam clean your engine compartment in preparation for the equivalent of an MOT test.

Dunno if they cover anything up first. I've let the garage take care of it.
                    Electrics in cars are so much robust than they were a few years ago. If people have seen an engine bay being powerwashed, they wouldnt bother with WD40 ever again.

If the car is older than 10 years, that may be a different question though.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

A baseball bat, hammer, crowbar etc.

Na I really just have the nuts and bolts for my spare wheel, foot pump, and a jump start kit.

Comment

Working...
                      X