• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Someone please teach these people to shoot straight.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were referred to as Tactical or Battlefield Nuclear Weapons in the training manuals.

The same training manuals used to explain how to sharpen your 2B and HB pencils and to use phosphorous smoke rounds against entrench troops when you have run out of everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
      They were referred to as Tactical or Battlefield Nuclear Weapons in the training manuals.

The same training manuals used to explain how to sharpen your 2B and HB pencils and to use phosphorous smoke rounds against entrench troops when you have run out of everything else.
      Battlefield IA (Immediate Action) number 17

If you see a VERY bright flash
      1 Close your eyes and keep them closed
      2 Put one hand over the other across your private parts
      3 Fall face down to the ground
      4 Expect severe heat, VERY strong winds, flying debris
      5 Lie still for 15 minutes, till the aftershocks subside

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
        I think a Howitzer does shoot straight, the difficulty is knowing where "straight" will hit.
        Does a mortar shoot straight too?

Here are how they look like:

Comment

Well obviously they have a parabolic trajectory but they do fly in a straight line along that trajectory (apart from windage which is more important for mortars).

I am not sure here, someone could convince me that the spin generated by the rifling actualy causes a curved line of flight much like a cricket ball.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Well obviously they have a parabolic trajectory but they do fly in a straight line along that trajectory (apart from windage which is more important for mortars).

I am not sure here, someone could convince me that the spin generated by the rifling actualy causes a curved line of flight much like a cricket ball.
            threaded will know...
            Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

So what you saying is basically that just because any curve can be approximated with straigth lines, therefore its straight line?

Simple question: is the drawling below is that of straight line?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                So what you saying is basically that just because any curve can be approximated with straigth lines, therefore its straight line?

Simple question: is the drawling below is that of straight line?

AtW will know...
                Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  threaded will know...
                  Yes, they do swing, depends on the cross wind and the rotation.

The rate of spin inparted by the rifling also causes a deviation from the parabolic. Wind in one direction flattens it, and wind in the other raises it.

Also the length of the barrel and the softness of the ground when fired. Also the amount of moisture in the air and air pressure.

I still have a lovely 'Pilot Ballon' slide rule somewhere, they now use computers which I don't think are as good when you're rushed.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It does not matter if they swing or not, what matters is that howitzers dont normally shoot in straight line, they of course can just like infantry support guns can be forced to shoot at high angle.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      It does not matter if they swing or not, what matters is that howitzers dont normally shoot in straight line, they of course can just like infantry support guns can be forced to shoot at high angle.
                      Lexy love, if you are going to get involved in an arguement you should at least make an effort to learn the language in which you are arguing. The term "to shoot straight" does not mean literaly in a straight line.

BTW Shortest distance between two points is a straight line so from start to finish (particularly in this context) of any arc can be described as a straight line.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X