• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desperate jobseeker sets himself alight outside Selly Oak jobcentre

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    If a banker was walking past he would use him to light a cigar.
    FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      I'm pretty sure many 17yo's dads don't have the same contacts as you do (have).
      I didn't use any contacts... She works in the local (small town) supermarket on checkout. She went in to ask for a job (of her own accord), filled in the application forms and went for an interview. My only input was to insist that she went to the interview dressed smartly. It's been a steep learning curve for her e.g. the customer is always right even when they are a complete idiot, the boss is always right by virtue only of being the boss (they too are complete idiots). But she's earning her own money to save for university.

OTOH, my son has flatly stated that he does not want to work in a shop. He says there are no jobs. So he has no job and hence no money.

Q.E.D.

Note:
      I base all my opinions on global economics and politics on small town anecdotal evidence

Comment

Being locked up is better than being on fire. Who can think of the best way of getting locked up without inconveniencing people too much.

Take a sledgehammer to police cars or to public property?

Commit a crime that has a potential reward, so that you win either way. But what crime?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          If my 17 year old daughter can get a job, I'm sure anyone can. Those that don't want to work don't. Those that do, do. IMO.
          I'll mention that to my 50 year old brother, who is unemployed and has to live with his parents. He gets sent to 'jobs' where he is supposed to work for only his dole money in the hope that there will be a proper job at the end of it. Its just used by unscrupulous people to get cheap labour for a few weeks, then they get someone else in for free. Rinse and repeat.
          He also does a lot of voluntary work to feel as if he has some purpose, so he's not sitting around doing sweet FA.
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
            I'll mention that to my 50 year old brother, who is unemployed and has to live with his parents. He gets sent to 'jobs' where he is supposed to work for only his dole money in the hope that there will be a proper job at the end of it. Its just used by unscrupulous people to get cheap labour for a few weeks, then they get someone else in for free. Rinse and repeat.
            He also does a lot of voluntary work to feel as if he has some purpose, so he's not sitting around doing sweet FA.
            Aye, Pogle. When I was in my teens or early twenties I could turn my hand to anything and was willing to survive on peanuts, but it isn't so easy when you are 50.

The unscrupulous turn those back to work schemes into a scam.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              From the comments

"mike1

11:10 AM on 29/6/2012

another sad story.
              this the goverment we have elected.they want you to pay taxes for what?there own salaries.
              no jobs.no benefits,nowhere to go,what are you supposed to do?
              i now a lot of people who geniunely want to work but no jobs,the benefit staff simply drag there decission as long as possible,leaving no option but to make them homeless or turn to crime.
              this is a wake up call to the shamefull staff who decide on benefits.
              there are many highley skilled or educated people who simply cannot even get a minimum pay manual job! what are you supposed to do?
              I know many of you think that there are many jobs out there but you cannot expect a 50y to lift 20kg,machine operator to be a secertary,plumber to be a finnancial adviser,criminal to be a lawyer and so on........

shame on DWP,JOBCENTRES,THE COALITION GOVERMENT."

Yeah you can. You expect those at the top of the rung to come down the ladder a bit. There is and always will be work for this who want it.
              Would you employ this person if this is the state of his education?
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                But it does prove that there's a "job", at least the company has a requirement for somebody, and it's the benefit system that is perverting the job market.

I wouldn't suggest we do away with benefits and minimum wage legislation, but I think everybody should accept that by choosing to have these things we are also choosing a certain amount of unemployment.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Would you employ this person if this is the state of his education?
                  That's the state of a lot of people's education. If you won't employ them you have to give them benefits or lock them up.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    But it does prove that there's a "job", at least the company has a requirement for somebody, and it's the benefit system that is perverting the job market.
                    No, it proves that if something (labour) costs nothing companies will use more of it.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Jobcentres are shockingly inefficient. Benefits frequently stop without reason, because of an error on their side, and the claimant has to jump through hoops to get them reinstated. Not surprised people become desperate.

Comment

Working...
                      X