• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Austerity programme going well

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In fact they've increased spending so it's the opposite of austerity.

Hey.....you know what it reallly means. This is "Party time" Britain.

Rock on
    If this is party time - what is austerity going to be like?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Exactly, you can't hold back a recession with a printing press, except in Gordonomics no more boom and bust land. I wonder if it will get uglier than Greece here. We should have had this recession 10 years ago, or 2 years ago at least. We might have been lean and mean and recovered by now.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Exactly, you can't hold back a recession with a printing press, except in Gordonomics no more boom and bust land. I wonder if it will get uglier than Greece here. We should have had this recession 10 years ago, or 2 years ago at least. We might have been lean and mean and recovered by now.
        But all Dave's friends would be in poverty by now. Especially all those bankers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Does anybody think this lot are doing everything arse about face? They seem to be making a lot of noise and publicity about the unpopular headline-grabbing policies while quietly doing nothing, whereas they should be telling everyone everything is fine, no cuts etc while sneakily doing a hatchet job. It's like they don't want to get re-elected.
          Very interesting point, I never thought of it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            In all fairness, I had one contract called off by Eric Pickles in 2010, and was asked to take a haircut in 2009, which I refused. Other than that, I have not really been affected by the austerity, if we have had any. I think things could be much worse, and will probably get much worse. I don't think we've even touched on austerity yet. My rates have gone up since 2008 and whilst not earning the most I have ever earned (Pickles canned that golden goose), I am still right up there and jobs seem to be always about.

France will turn before us, as the tulipe Hollande has offered, they can't afford, and we all know the Frenchies don't like being treated like kids. I reckon this ride has just started. Greece run out of money mid July and if they don't make more cuts, the IMF, et al, have said they'll get no money. They can't make more cuts and not have riots on the scale we've never seen there.

I reckon it would be a great time to buy a plot of land somewhere nice and quiet and try and grow some of your own food. I genuinely do. I think we're in for a very, very rocky ride over the next 5-10 years.

Comment

It may be the best recession ever for the rich, those with houses and mortgages and jobs, but the poor are being clobbered hard.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                It may be the best recession ever for the rich, those with houses and mortgages and jobs, but the poor are being clobbered hard.
                This is what always happens. Recession means time for the rich to buy everything from the poor that is worth buying.....

Comment

Buffet used to say the key to making money is to be scared when people are greedy and greedy when people are scared.

Makes perfect sense really. I wanted to get out of property, thinking I'd lose a lot of money. However, I couldn't, and now have top rents, low mortgages and the letters are paying off the mortgages. Really didn't see that happening.

Comment

Everything will be fine for quite a few more months, possibly even up to a year while the shadow lurkers silently clean up.

Then the pain and carnage will hit so suddenly and so rapidly to so many that people will simply not believe it at first as the illusion of personal wealth vanishes like a burst balloon, leaving nothing but the worthless shrivelled remains in their soiled hands.

hyperD in "the collapse of the horn of plenty" mode
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                      Everything will be fine for quite a few more months, possibly even up to a year while the shadow lurkers silently clean up.

Then the pain and carnage will hit so suddenly and so rapidly to so many that people will simply not believe it at first as the illusion of personal wealth vanishes like a burst balloon, leaving nothing but the worthless shrivelled remains in their soiled hands.

hyperD in "the collapse of the horn of plenty" mode
                      Since when were you such an optimist?

Comment

Working...
                      X