• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IM: Brillo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooby View Post
    So, from what you are saying, I should put my c2-5k on hold (currently doing 2k straight run in 13min 23sec, due to increase to 3km this based on a plan I have) and do 2-3 weeks of sprint training? Ditto for the bike? i.e. all the plans i have are about exercising for a time period, which then increases, as Im starting from scratch.

Reading those articles etc it seems better for me to do sprint training for 2-3 weeks and then do a couple of weeks normal program to build up the distance? Make sense? or should 1 session of the 3 a week be sprint based?
    You want to get some early gains in quickly to keep you motivated, build muscle mass and get your lungs and heart used to the hard work.

Are you a gym member? I can heartily recommend getting a trainer for a few sessions to make sure you've got a decent form, especially when running. It's suprising how something which you would think is a fairly basic physical activity can be improved massively with a small bit of coaching.
    Forking out a couple of hundred pounds on training and making the appointments to see the trainer will also keep you focussed for the first couple of hard months.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      You want to get some early gains in quickly to keep you motivated, build muscle mass and get your lungs and heart used to the hard work.

Are you a gym member? I can heartily recommend getting a trainer for a few sessions to make sure you've got a decent form, especially when running. It's suprising how something which you would think is a fairly basic physical activity can be improved massively with a small bit of coaching.
      Forking out a couple of hundred pounds on training and making the appointments to see the trainer will also keep you focussed for the first couple of hard months.
      Careful,

depends how close to race day you are - adjusting running form, longer-term go for it, in the short term this will put you back as you introduce a new technique and muscles. Most folks usually do this type of stuff during the winter months not summer racing season.
      If you have cash to burn, this time of year I'd go for swimming lessons, sounds like you need some.
      But.
      You are just starting out ... so go, just enjoy getting into a routine and build confidence, avoid injury and do some reading.

This Sunday morning at stupid o'clock on Ch 4 has 3 back to back Triathlon programmes - recommend recording and re-watching when you are lacking motivation.

Dont get too serious too soon, fast track to injury, self hatred and no friends

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
        just enjoy

This is the best advice I have received anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

This is the best advice I have received anywhere.
          Cheers ears

I know too many folks overtrain and end up hating it and/or damaging themselves.

Friend stopped at 17m in London Mara because he didnt 'feel' right. London Mara have rejected me x4 grrrr.

Depends on your goals and priorities.

ITS A HOBBY ....

Only 8 weeks to go Brillo ....

Comment

Careful,

depends how close to race day you are - adjusting running form, longer-term go for it, in the short term this will put you back as you introduce a new technique and muscles. Most folks usually do this type of stuff during the winter months not summer racing season.
            From how I read the OP; he's only just starting out

You are just starting out ... so go, just enjoy getting into a routine and build confidence, avoid injury and do some reading.

Dont get too serious too soon, fast track to injury, self hatred and no friends
            Thats really down to personally preference

I tried the "easy in" approach countless times over the past decade and ended up giving up after a month or two every time and then finally ballooning to over 15 stone
            Last year I started again with a trainer once a week, one gym class a week(usually spinning) and/or one session by myself. Apart from a 3 month gap round the time my daughter was born I've been keeping at it with a minimum of 1 exercise session a week.

I'd say that getting the trainer made the biggest difference for me though. The motivation, encouragement and coaching really did help for the first couple of months whilst my body was battered in to some sort of shape.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have just started out. it's a 22 week programme so no rush. I've been back running for 2 weeks, and am loving it. I used to run for the Corp in the army, but injuries and age meant I've done nothing for 10yrs. My technique is fine tho.

Already spoken to a friend last night who is a swim instructor and a big open water swimmer. She wants to me carry on for 2 weeks as I am, i.e. build the basic fitness, and then she will come and give me pointers, 1-on-1 sessions etc.

It's just nice to have motivation back. Too many injuries, too many excuses and now I'm 95% fit, I want to feel like Im 35! I've weight to lose and i want to be able to run round with the kids and not die from it! That is my ultimate target. My goal is to be fit enough to consider doing an actual triathlon if I wish and make sure i go to the gym 3 times a week.

Dallas, totally agree mate, and what a v good point about just enjoying it!
              I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

From how I read the OP; he's only just starting out

Thats really down to personally preference

I tried the "easy in" approach countless times over the past decade and ended up giving up after a month or two every time and then finally ballooning to over 15 stone
                Last year I started again with a trainer once a week, one gym class a week(usually spinning) and/or one session by myself. Apart from a 3 month gap round the time my daughter was born I've been keeping at it with a minimum of 1 exercise session a week.

I'd say that getting the trainer made the biggest difference for me though. The motivation, encouragement and coaching really did help for the first couple of months whilst my body was battered in to some sort of shape.
                I have trainer x2 a week for the last 2 years, so agree - wonderful for core and the evil stuff you would never do on your own (he has got my benchpress to 90kgs - and am a girl )

I got my parents sessions and they lost loads, as soon as sessions stopped they started eating.... you know the rest.

Consistency is key early on, if you can get into a routine quietly build up volume witha couple of intervals thrown in, tonnes of clubs out there with loads of like-minded crazy folks who are happy to talk about this stuff all day long ....

you asked about online programmes - if you have a smartphone there are tonnes of free apps. I have a polar watch so is handy for me to use theirs. I keep spreadsheets also, fun to look back at progress.

Comment

Try doing sprint intervals for the running/cycling. It really pushes your cardio system:

I do a minute on full sprint (18kph) then a minute walking (4kph) repeated 5 times. Took me 2 months of 1 gym session a week to go from 14kph up to 18

and make sure you do plenty of squats with those weights!
                  OMFG gave it a go this morn... 5k on bike with a few sprints thrown in, weights, and then 20sec sprints varied 14-15.5kph, 40sec rest / walk. Managed 11 times.

After 20 mins in steam room / sauna, shower, drive home, brew, and still breathing hard!!

V nearly a session!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
                    OMFG gave it a go this morn... 5k on bike with a few sprints thrown in, weights, and then 20sec sprints varied 14-15.5kph, 40sec rest / walk. Managed 11 times.

After 20 mins in steam room / sauna, shower, drive home, brew, and still breathing hard!!

V nearly a session!

As long as you are still enjoying it then great!

I had a scare yesterday - lots of chest pains for no reason. Then I remember that 36 hours earlier I had really pushed myself on the weights (trying to build up for swimming). Took a while to show due to my advanced years.

Taking things easy today - just a cycle to/from work (12 miles each way) so I am ready for lake swimming tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

As long as you are still enjoying it then great!

I had a scare yesterday - lots of chest pains for no reason. Then I remember that 36 hours earlier I had really pushed myself on the weights (trying to build up for swimming). Took a while to show due to my advanced years.

Taking things easy today - just a cycle to/from work (12 miles each way) so I am ready for lake swimming tonight.
                      Im feeling great to be fair. Got of plan B & C meetings this weekend so unlikely to get out much, but i do use weekends as my rest days. Not sure whether to do the sprint training for 5 more sessions, or just do it once a week and my normal routine the rest. Part of me wants to hammer it for the full 6 sessions then see just what my normal run feels like and if i can increase the distant...

Can certainly feel my lungs todays!!

Comment

Working...
                      X