• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Middle East help and tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
    Not sure if its still like it but a friend of mine worked there for 10 years and he said if a saudi person runs into your car it will be your fault as they believe the accident would not have happened if you had not been in their country
    Very True. And if a westerner runs into a Pakistani it will be the Pakistani's fault as he is lower down their pecking order.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Be a man.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I wouldn't bother. Rates are crap compared to the UK cos it's chock full of Indians who will do the job for half the price, and it's not a cheap place to live. There also have terrible problems with late payment, it's a way of life, and the roads are pretty dangerous (think 1st or 2nd highest rate of fatal accidents in the world...)
        +1

Apartment rents are paid 1 year in advance.
        Pay rates are reduced as soon as they think you want to stay.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Spent a few years working in Dubai and Saudi as a consultant for a middleware vendor (I was permie).

I don't think I met any other westerners over there who were not on some kind of expat package.
          Local rates were crap then (late 90s) and I have no reason to think they'd have got any better.

Technical roles were more and more being taken by Indians and, in Saudi, there was a policy of Saudi-isation where locals were being encouraged to work. Not that you'd be able to swan into Saudi and pick up a contract willy-nilly anyhow as you need a sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Spent a few years working in Dubai and Saudi as a consultant for a middleware vendor (I was permie).

I don't think I met any other westerners over there who were not on some kind of expat package.
            Local rates were crap then (late 90s) and I have no reason to think they'd have got any better.
            Back in the 70s and 80s Middle East expat packages could be worth doing to stack up the cash to buy a home outright.

Crap expat rates started n the aftermath of the Kuwait war. The UK economy wasn't too hot at the time and folks were being offered the equivalent of UK permie salaries with the carrot of "But there's no tax"*. To attract people they provided better facilities such as squash courts, satellite TV etc.

I knew several hardware engineers who would have been no better off under those deals. Instead they could keep their company cars, stay with their famiies etc, No contest.

* and beware returning to the UK early in case you ended up being liable for that tax anyway
            Last edited by Sysman; 19 June 2012, 10:16.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Back in the 70s and 80s Middle East expat packages could be worth doing to stack up the cash to buy a home outright.

Crap expat rates started n the aftermath of the Kuwait war. The UK economy wasn't too hot at the time and folks were being offered the equivalent of UK permie salaries with the carrot of "But there's no tax". To attract people they provided better facilities such as sports facilities, satellite TV etc.

I knew several hardware engineers who would have been no better off under those deals. Instead they could keep their company cars, stay with their famiies etc, No contest.
              Yes, plus the 365 day rule.

Comment

Crossed posts. See my edited addition about returning to the UK early.

Comment

Crossed posts. See my edited addition about returning to the UK early.
                  They'd only just brought this in when I was offered a job. I negotiated a bonus with the company which they paid in the following tax year.

Comment

* and beware returning to the UK early in case you ended up being liable for that tax anyway
                    I spent 3 months in Brazil at the end of my stint

Comment

When did that come in?

Comment

Working...
                      X