• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IOW Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I take it you have fallen on hard times
    A long weekend on the IOW is the height of opulence for us.

It's Brean Down when we're skint

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Hmmm, worth a look - I've only ever been there to get the IOW ferry.
      There are some really cracking hotels in the area, and nice eateries in Lymington itself. If we had a chance to lose the kids for a weekend, we'd head that way I think.

Some real salty old sea dogs there too. Sailing is cracking too, if thats your bag.

Comment

Hmmm, worth a look - I've only ever been there to get the IOW ferry.
        WOHS

New Forest is a cracking base of operations.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Brean down is quite picturesque. Brean itself is an aquired taste. Out that way not long ago for a paddle and a walk up Brent Knoll

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
            Brean down is quite picturesque. Brean itself is an aquired taste. Out that way not long ago for a paddle and a walk up Brent Knoll
            Can't remember the last time I ever saw the tide in there! Will be out that way myself on Saturday.

Comment

Can't remember the last time I ever saw the tide in there! Will be out that way myself on Saturday.
              Haha, early doors, or late on is where you'll catch it.

Not that bad really, but looking out to sea watching the kids play, with Hinckley Point B in the background has always tainted my opinion of the place. We used to live not very far from there, about 10 miles inland. Just gets chock full of people in summer who seem to camp there for 8 months of the year. Then we get to Burnham on Sea, and Highbridge....

EDIT:

Second largest tidal range in the world by the way! So it comes in and out very quickly when it does. Something like 10-12 metres. Pretty fun if you're having a paddle

edit edit - 15 metres apparently
              Last edited by Old Hack; 13 June 2012, 13:39.

Comment

I am camping there myself this year. I am following AtW's instructions and paying my income to the state. far better for everyone that they spend it on paying people not to work then me spend it on latvian dancers in Prague.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Missus wants to go the the Isle of Wight at the end of June for a long weekend. Haven't really been for a while & I seem to recall the places on the south coast of the island (well, Sandown) having gone a little downhill.

Anyone know any nice places to stay over there? Probably want to be in a town so we can go round a few bars etc in the evening. I'm thinking Cowes but I'm open to suggestions. TIA
                  Downhill literally on the south coast - onto the beach and into the sea! The IoW south coast was at least a mile further out in Roman times!

The bars and clubs can be pretty wild and woolly, especially on a saturday. But then that's true of many places these days.

I used to stay with friends in Freshwater, which was quite pleasant. You can find amber on the beaches along the south coast BTW, a good way to keep young kids occupied (or grown up kids!)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Alternatively if she just wants a nice beach, go to Bournemouth

Something like the Sandbanks Hotel would be pleasant
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      WOHS

New Forest is a cracking base of operations.
                      Sandy Balls would make a good base (albeit not cheap for camping), with the Ringwood Brewery nearby should you want to imbibe some Old Thumber
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X