• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting Read From the Guardian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I have seen quite a few times was when mainframe organisations moved to the web in the late 90s and let the architects build core systems based on, it would seem, a quick read through, "java in 24 hours" and a few javaworld articles. A lot of these systems are still kicking about, central to the business and absolute monstrosities to work with.

I know of one place that has a a 283 column database table that holds pretty much eveything and if you have went through Uni in the last 20 years you will probably be on it. Of course performance is terrible so they came up with a plan to add another column of nulls and they believed that this would free up memory and thus increase performace. These people should be removed from their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      One thing I have seen quite a few times was when mainframe organisations moved to the web in the late 90s and let the architects build core systems based on, it would seem, a quick read through, "java in 24 hours" and a few javaworld articles. A lot of these systems are still kicking about, central to the business and absolute monstrosities to work with.

I know of one place that has a a 283 column database table that holds pretty much eveything and if you have went through Uni in the last 20 years you will probably be on it. Of course performance is terrible so they came up with a plan to add another column of nulls and they believed that this would free up memory and thus increase performace. These people should be removed from their jobs.
      No they shouldn't! They provide work for contractors!

You're right, they should be removed from their jobs, and in fact kept away from computers, the internet, fragile manufactured products, road, sea or air traffic, perishable food goods or anything else where they can damage other people.

Unemployment benefit wasn't invented for them; it was invented to protect the rest of us against them
      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 31 May 2012, 09:09.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
      X