• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Say it ain't so...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    <fanboi>
    I actually like the one on my Macbook Pro, takes a few minutes to get used the shorter travel on the keys but then it's great.
    </fanboi>

+1

I have a even bought an additional wireless one for when I am working on my thunderbolt screens, I don't have to have the lid open on the laptop...

Can't believe anyone ever uses the little red tits that IBM seem to insist on sticking in the middle of their laptops in the name of a mouse... my track pad laughs at it

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
      +1

I have a even bought an additional wireless one for when I am working on my thunderbolt screens, I don't have to have the lid open on the laptop...

Can't believe anyone ever uses the little red tits that IBM seem to insist on sticking in the middle of their laptops in the name of a mouse... my track pad laughs at it
      I use the tit when I don't have a mouse. I tend to switch the pad off because it's easy to hit it with thumbs and make the cursor jump all over the place. Have apple solved this problem?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I've been waiting for the ivy bridge thinkpads to emerge before taking the plunge and it seems that they are doing away with the traditional keyboards in favour of one of those island jobs.

WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????
        Have to agree. The best keyboard I ever owned had an old 9 pin din connector on it, the keys were like cubes and made a lovely click when they got to the bottom of their travel. It was so old the plastic had gone a nicotine yellow (although it wasn't nicotine that had caused this), and I think it was from an old IBM XT.

Lovely chunky tactile response. God how I miss that keyboard.

Edit : It seems I am not alone

The Model M keyboard, colloquially called a clicky keyboard, is a class of computer keyboards manufactured by IBM, Lexmark and Unicomp, starting in 1984. The many different variations of the keyboard have their own distinct characteristics, with the vast majority having a buckling spring key design and many having fully swappable keycaps. Model M keyboards have been prized by computer enthusiasts and heavy typists because of the tactile and auditory feedback resulting from a keystroke.

The Model M is also regarded as a timeless and durable piece of hardware. Many units manufactured since the mid 1980s are still in use today, while the computers and monitors of the day are obsolete. Unicomp, which now owns the rights to the design, continues to sell Model M keyboards. Recently, the keyboards have made a comeback amongst writers and computer techs.[1] Unicomp has had difficulty making them profitable because they rarely break, and most retailers will not stock such an expensive keyboard.[1]
        Last edited by suityou01; 28 May 2012, 12:27.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Have to agree. The best keyboard I ever owned had an old 9 pin din connector on it, the keys were like cubes and made a lovely click when they got to the bottom of their travel. It was so old the plastic had gone a nicotine yellow (although it wasn't nicotine that had caused this), and I think it was from an old IBM XT.

Lovely chunky tactile response. God how I miss that keyboard.
          Microswitch keyboards. they were the best.

Cheapo squidgy keyboards are way too quiet (and squidgy)
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
            Microswitch keyboards. they were the best.

Cheapo squidgy keyboards are way too quiet (and squidgy)
            They're not cheap, but still in production, see here

Comment

Ooh!

Cheers

Guess what I'm going to get (although I will have to reserve it for the home office)
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Cheaper if you order from the company that makes them:

Unicomp, Inc.: Product List
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Cheaper if you order from the company that makes them:

Unicomp, Inc.: Product List
                  And dearer if you have to put international haulage costs on it as I don't live in the states.

Comment

Anyway, back to my original topic. I think they *might* just persuade me to give these new keyboards a go....

ThinkPad X1 Carbon - tough, reliable Ultrabook Laptop from Lenovo (US)

1600x900 14" screen so you can actually use it for real work, built in 3G, proper i7 processors (allegedly, but the old ones had i7-2640 in them so should be OK). I really hope they've put two RAM slots in it...
                    Last edited by doodab; 28 May 2012, 17:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X