• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extra pumps used to lower water levels in Somerset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    The Somerset levels are an area around Glastonbury, Mark, over to Highbridge and to Bridgwater. Big area, used to control flooding. Nearest resevoirs, I think, are Chew Magna and Cheddar. Be a bit of an ask to get the water all the way over that way. Drove through the area late Monday afternoon driving to the South Hams and the levels didn't look that wet to me?
    Cheddar (which is in Axebridge) then Blagdon and Chew Magna, If you walk on the fields around Brean you can sometimes find crab shells and other evidence of past floods.

I live on a hilly bit.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The Somerset levels are an area around Glastonbury, Mark, over to Highbridge and to Bridgwater. Big area, used to control flooding. Nearest resevoirs, I think, are Chew Magna and Cheddar. Be a bit of an ask to get the water all the way over that way. Drove through the area late Monday afternoon driving to the South Hams and the levels didn't look that wet to me?
      Cos I'm really bored a check on Cheddar, Highbridge & Bridgwater areas and Wessex & Bristol Water reservoirs serving:
      Bristol Water
      The recent rain has boosted reservoirs with the overall level now increased to 93% full. This is 2% below the company's guidelines, and is a significant improvement from where we started in April and with more rainfall predicted there may still be a further rise.

Chew Lake is 89% full (77% this time last year); Blagdon Lake is 100% full (84% this time last year) whilst Cheddar Reservoir is 99% full (95% this time last year).

The Barrow Reservoirs are 86% full (90% this time last year)
      Wessex
      The majority of our reservoirs are now overflowing and consequently reservoir storage is now 100% (excluding or including Wimbleball reservoir, which is a shared resource with South West Water). No pumped storage facilities are currently running as they are no longer needed.
      You still got hosepipe bans there?

so....... into the rivers we go!
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Hi Zoid.
        Odd, but

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Cos I'm really bored a check on Cheddar, Highbridge & Bridgwater areas and Wessex & Bristol Water reservoirs serving:
          Bristol Water

Wessex

You still got hosepipe bans there?

so....... into the rivers we go!

I live in the South Hams in Devon, but I think we're ok there too lol. Never known so much rain.

Comment

I live in the South Hams in Devon, but I think we're ok there too lol. Never known so much rain.
            Funny, I was there a few days ago(Strete, Blackawton, Slapton) , then the next day in Bridgwater. I think I may be Zoiderman.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Funny, I was there a few days ago(Strete, Blackawton, Slapton) , then the next day in Bridgwater. I think I may be Zoiderman.
              We're spoilt there, but love Slapton. I come across the levels to hit the M5 at Bridgwater, as I normally come cross country from the outlaws. Nice journey.

Can't beat the South Hams though.

Comment

Working...
              X