• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who has a Pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ISA and PEP funds are doing very nicely thankyou. My Equitable Life fund did nicely too and I transferred it in time. My Standard Life fund did abysmally and seems not to have grown over 10 years and I'm getting no money in the sell off. I won't transfer my funds to a SIPP till later as they charge about 1% per year merely for management fees, on top of the fund charges. Mmmm.

Was there a point to this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
      My Standard Life fund did abysmally and seems not to have grown over 10 years and I'm getting no money in the sell off.
      My standard life fund will have done very well. Mainly because it had min contributions when I contracted out for a year (it got paid the grand total of something like 200 quid in rebates). The projected value of the hand out turns it into quite a good return.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
        My standard life fund will have done very well. Mainly because it had min contributions when I contracted out for a year (it got paid the grand total of something like 200 quid in rebates). The projected value of the hand out turns it into quite a good return.
        What annoyed me is that carpet baggers who joined recently will get a payout as long as they were making regular contributions.

Comment

Pension, good grief NO. Biggest legalised theft in the world ever.

Can't remember the exact numbers but I think you can match the best pension performance in the world by sticking the money under the matress getting no tax advantage and no interest - unless you live to to be more than 107 because at that point you've spent all the money. If you stick it somewhere that gets interest and/or a tax break, the numbers get even more silly.

Cue people who work in the pensions industry saying this is bullsh1t and quoting how much they know because they work in the industry.

If you wan't to know, work it out for yourself.

Add up how much you pay into your pension monthly, divide this amount by your predicted pension from the pension statement and see how long it takes you to eat up the money.

Now work it out if you get 3% compound interest. Anybody still think they are going to outlive their savings so they need a pension?

Another bonus with other savings, die early and your beneficiaries get the cash not the annuity providers.

Comment

Give us a big chunk of your income now and we guarantee* to give you some back years from now.

*Not guaranteed.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Nope. I'm going to move into professional crime when I retire.
              Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Pension

No

I dont have one. I for one will not give any more to any government than I am forced too and I think all this scaremongering about pensions is really just an effort to get more funds into the public coffers.

If you think about it, why should the government worry about whether you are in a cardboard box under london bridge eating dogfood when you are 80? They will be long gone so what do they care?

It may also be the start of a campaign to enforce pension contributions, which would be for all intents and purposes increasing taxes.

I will try and have two flats in london paid off by the time I have been worked into b£ggery, go live somewhere cheap and warm, while some other poor sods can pay me rent and sit in my flats in this miserable sh1thole to make money to go retire somehwere warm.

Sunny "The cr@p weather is getting to me this week" San
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

not subscribed to any formal pension product

am in the process of making alternative provision however

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    not subscribed to any formal pension product

am in the process of making alternative provision however

Milan.
                    How is your imaginary swimming pool coming along?

Comment

hasn't been dug yet Whinston.

Do you have a pool too ?

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X