• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Summer holidays where are you going ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Off to Cuba soonish for this year's main vacaciones de familia

Havana and Cayo Largo (diving).

Hopefully a chav-free environment.

Cost more than the holiday?

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Not sure how old you kid(s) are - but we started preparing 18 months prior to the exam(Sep 18th/19th this year which is the beginning of year 6). The exams cover Bexley and Kent (We are SE9 - New Eltham and we are close to Bexley Grammars and Wilmington/Dartford for Kent). Kids got tuition - £90/month each. We are just having to change the days as 1 twin (the boy) is autistic and has been VERY difficult. But basically they go once a week during term time. They get homework. The get games to play with parents (e.g. turn over 5 cards - use the first 4 cards to make the value of the 5th card). And online games - like tutpup. WE got a list of exam tests and give the kids those regularly - now ramping them up in preparation for the mocks at half term.
      The eldest is year 5 (I think? 8 nearly 9) and we're going to start prepping her sometime in the next term, including tuition. We have a good friend (the eldests goddaughter as it happens) who teaches at a grammar in Surrey and has said she coach when she can, but we'll throw the boat out for her, to be honest. Otherwise its £15000 for private in Torbay and, to be honest, I was rather hoping I could spend that on a boat lol.

Thanks btw

Comment

Two weeks in France at the start.

Then possibly another week without the kids if (a) I can decide where to go; and (b) I can get a flight on points this week.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          The eldest is year 5 (I think? 8 nearly 9) and we're going to start prepping her sometime in the next term, including tuition. We have a good friend (the eldests goddaughter as it happens) who teaches at a grammar in Surrey and has said she coach when she can, but we'll throw the boat out for her, to be honest. Otherwise its £15000 for private in Torbay and, to be honest, I was rather hoping I could spend that on a boat lol.

Thanks btw
          My eldest recommends bbc bytesize for preparation. 11plus.co.uk has lots of practice tests. The competition for places in Torbay isn't as fierce as in the SE so a little effort should go a long way.

Comment

Florida. Again....

The two weeks or so non-billing kills me though :-(
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
              My eldest recommends bbc bytesize for preparation. 11plus.co.uk has lots of practice tests. The competition for places in Torbay isn't as fierce as in the SE so a little effort should go a long way.
              Thanks a lot BigTime.

We're moving to Stoke Gabriel, so should fall into it's catchment.

Comment

A week in St Ives, no computers for a week, though I bet the missus still spends half the week on facebook and farmville
                Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                  Haha, my wife just read that with a different slant!

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                    A week in St Ives, no computers for a week, though I bet the missus still spends half the week on facebook and farmville
                    Isn't a sentence meant to rhyme when "St Ives" is in it?

Comment

West Wales for 2 weeks (Touring Caravan)

Devon for a week (also touring caravan)

Brecon or Forest of Dean for a week (also touring caravan)

Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X