• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He is either a liar, a moron, or being badly misreported

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    And here we have a bunch of people who are highly paid who have a history of tax avoidance berating the chancellor and the rich for being party to it all The irony of it.
    I thought Ken Livingstone was the only hypocrite until I read this thread.
    Everyone is a hypocrite when it suits them...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      More evidence that the Tories are out of touch.

Don't blame me ..........
      You are Ben Elton and I claim my five partisan pounds.
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

UK shocked that George Osborne expects them to believe he’s shocked at millionaire tax avoiders

Comment

And here we have a bunch of people who are highly paid who have a history of tax avoidance berating the chancellor and the rich for being party to it all
          Chancellor is berated for either being an idiot or a liar - probably both.

Comment

I think we should thank the chancellor for alerting us to tax avoidance possibilities us minnows hadn't previously considered.

So if I set up an overseas charity (who presumably have no obligation to tell the UK government who they employ, what they pay them, and how they spend the rest of their money) then I can currently donate any amount of money to the charity, and that money won't be taxed in the UK?

To put it another way, there's nothing stopping me from creating my own personal financial black hole that will swallow all my taxable income and UK government has no way of knowing what becomes of it?

I get giddy just thinking about the possibilities....

More seriously I don't think the 25% limit is enough of a clamp-down, to be honest.

How about tax relief is only given via the charities themselves, who supply HMRC with a list of donors and donations, and any charity with fewer than 100 separate donors isn't eligible for tax relief?

The alternative would be only allowing approved charities to get tax relief, but that would be bureaucratic. Rather than whitelisting, allow popularity (number of different donors) to indicate which appear to be be genuine charities, then blacklist any of those you have a problem with.
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 11 April 2012, 11:20.

Comment

There are lots of ways to solve it including pursueing people who used false charities for tax evasion which it would certainly be in this case.

Also making all tax returns public would be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
                How about tax relief is only given via the charities themselves, who supply HMRC with a list of donors and donations, and any charity with fewer than 100 separate donors isn't eligible for tax relief?

The alternative would be only allowing approved charities to get tax relief, but that would be bureaucratic. Rather than whitelisting, allow popularity (number of different donors) to indicate which appear to be be genuine charities, then blacklist any of those you have a problem with.
                The Contractors Benevolent Fund should pass with flying colours.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Why don't they simply tax rich people on over £250k at 20%. that way they wont bother employing complex tax avoidance vehicles and nor will they fart around with the amount of time they spend in the Uk. More tax will be raised - everyone's a winner!
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Why don't they simply tax rich people on over £250k at 20%
                    Good idea.

Unfortunately some rich knuts would still prefer to pay 10% to an offshore firm to avoid paying any tax in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Good idea.

Unfortunately some rich knuts would still prefer to pay 10% to an offshore firm to avoid paying any tax in UK.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X