• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one contract offer via LinkedIn so far. I know a couple of good contractor PMs who I've worked for before, and they're often on Linkedin networking and trying to market themselves. Just put an update on there when you're about to finish a gig or when you're on the bench. "will be available for new contracts in May", "currently available for work" or something like that.

One downside to doing this is when you get a prat of a permie PM or manager who hired you into current clientco, you happened to add him to Linkedin and he takes offence to you putting yourself on the market. Some of them like to think they own you and take it the wrong way. Doesn't bother me though, I just say they'll get first dibs if they get an extension in early

Comment

Lots of offers via LinkedIn, unfortunately in the wrong country though have got contacted about gigs.

It is useful, use the groups post interesting articles, comment on other peoples posts and it will raise your profile.

You need to have plenty of contacts to make it worth your while.

Like everything you need to work at it.

With reference to what CheeseSlice said, the permies do take offence if you post that you are looking for your next gig. I pointed out I'm self employed and if clientco takes too long to sort out the extension then I have to advertised my availability.

Needless to say the paperwork gets sorted out pretty quickly when they see it
      Last edited by norrahe; 5 April 2012, 08:29.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Yep, all my work for the last 4 years has come from Linkedin. I think I may have to set up a training course, as none of you seem to have a clue how to use it.
        World's Best Martini

Comment

and what is with all of those people who upload profile pics that belong on facebook or an online dating site?
          e.g. Guys wearing an open shirt in a dark room looking drunk.
          Women looking all sleazy like the people who try to send you xxx links on MSN or twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Got one contract offer via LinkedIn so far. I know a couple of good contractor PMs who I've worked for before, and they're often on Linkedin networking and trying to market themselves. Just put an update on there when you're about to finish a gig or when you're on the bench. "will be available for new contracts in May", "currently available for work" or something like that.

One downside to doing this is when you get a prat of a permie PM or manager who hired you into current clientco, you happened to add him to Linkedin and he takes offence to you putting yourself on the market. Some of them like to think they own you and take it the wrong way. Doesn't bother me though, I just say they'll get first dibs if they get an extension in early
            One way to deal with this is to remove links to those members that you don't want to see what you are posting currently. Then, when current role is finished, just add them back in. They aren't informed that you have removed the link unless they actually try to contact you via LI and they are unlikely to do that while you are working for them.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
              Yep, all my work for the last 4 years has come from Linkedin. I think I may have to set up a training course, as none of you seem to have a clue how to use it.
              Not specific enough I'm afraid. We need to know how many zeroes or it could have been a 2 day doc review job

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Not specific enough I'm afraid. We need to know how many zeroes or it could have been a 2 day doc review job
                Ok, in the last 4 years I have had breaks totaling 8 weeks and constant work at very good rates.

Happy?
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Working...
                X