• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Interest only mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I've still got two endowment policies designed to pay off my first mortgage that I took out 22 years and several houses ago. I was young and naive at the time and in those pre-Internet days the world was a different place when it came to finding out about stuff.

Both policies are on course to pay out approximately 2/3 of the originally estimated value. I have no option but to continue paying them to term as any other option (cash, sell, fully pay up etc) will cost me a bundle. Needless to say for the past 17 years all my mortgages have been repayment.
    I have one maturing this year, like you I changed to repayment for the second property but kept the endowment going as a savings & life insurance method.

Agreed that compared with what was promised at the time the return is pretty scandalous but it all comes down to the terminal bonus amount as to how much of a disaster it has been

With no mortgage anymore I'm just looking at as funding for an indulgence
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      With no mortgage anymore I'm just looking at as funding for an indulgence
      Why not consider an Eco-Mosque for the end of your garden?

HTH

Churchill
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Welcome back Shaun

how was the goulag

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Welcome back Shaun

how was the goulag

Milan.
          I've had worse. The food was good, and at least the cell next door wasn't occupied by a gurning slack-jawed wobbly-spined loser with paternal rejection issues. So that was something.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            I've had worse. The food was good, and at least the cell next door wasn't occupied by a gurning slack-jawed wobbly-spined loser with paternal rejection issues. So that was something.

The cycle for recent miscreants appears to be:

Banned
            Return
            <count 10>
            Re-banned

So if we don't get to speak before your next holiday... you're a ****

HTH
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              The cycle for recent miscreants appears to be:

Banned
              Return
              <count 10>
              Re-banned

So if we don't get to speak before your next holiday... you're a ****

HTH
              Well you'd know all about cycles, you menstrual koont!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Why not consider an Paki-Mosque for the end of your garden?

HTH

Churchill
                ftfy
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  ..complain about it and get there mortgage changed and the endowment cancelled (this basically put you back to where you would have been without the endowment) ...
                  What we did. Was fairly painless and got back a lot more than I expected.

Comment

Working...
                  X