• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance - Not told about it - Won't Get it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill
    Fill in the forms honestly and ask to talk to the companies security officer.
    company's
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
      I know this all sounds daft, but I was interviewed and offered a reasonable contract for a mob comms company in a team on a specfic project.

The agent said...and I quote...(after I had the offer and had verbally accepted and not mentioned at all before this), "do you have sc clearance?", to which I said "no...Why, do I need it?". He went away and "checked" and the response to me by email, was "Security Clearance is not an issue".

Contract starts tomorrow, but was asked by client, via the agent, if I would go in for an hour today, so that I could get a handover from a girl I am filling in for, for the first 2 weeks, as she's off on her hols. Whilst there, the manager asked me if I had SC Clearance, to which I replied no, and he then said "you deffo need it, so I'll arrange for the forms to be sent to you."

My issue, is that I was led to believe that I didn't in fact need it, but it now seems I do and I can safely state, that I won't get it..due to credit issues and being a naughty boy 20 years ago.

At this point, I see little reason to bother with the job, as I will get kicked out soon enough.

The contract I have (signed, but not posted yet) is supposedly IR35 friendly and clearly states that my Ltd company, as the supplier can put another person into the job. Under these circumstances, can I execute this? Or is that avenue rife with problems?

Agents make me sick. If SC was deffo needed, then I should've been told at the beginning and I wouldn't have bothered going for the job. Agent is PSD Group. As it is, it took 4 weeks to get the interview and then wasn't allowed to start for another 2 weeks! and I've turned down other work as I really fancied this one.

All this SC stuff has only occurred in the last few days too.

What's to do? Post the contract, (which only came yesterday) grab a few weeks work and money until I get fired? Or take the easier and least embarrassing option of looking for another job?

PS. I do regret the trouble I had all those years ago (nothing serious like Murder or anything), getting in 'with the wrong crowd' and now it's coming back to bite me on the ass.

As long as you are honest on the forms there should be any problems. I was put in prison for sumfin I didn’t do and this screw was giving me agro so I knifed him. They tried to send me down for murder but I pleaded guilty to manslaughter. I managed to get SC .. no problem gov.
      HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
        As long as you are honest on the forms there should be any problems. I was put in prison for sumfin I didn’t do and this screw was giving me agro so I knifed him. They tried to send me down for murder but I pleaded guilty to manslaughter. I managed to get SC .. no problem gov.
        Certainly correct in a certain way, for certain departments they require personel with the ability to fit in to all sorts of sectors in society, and if you knew their stories you'd be rightly horrified that they receive any income at all from your taxes. For better or worse it is the nature of the game.

Just tell the truth and don't try to hide anything, they'll know more about you than you do yourself.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Certainly correct in a certain way, for certain departments they require personel with the ability to fit in to all sorts of sectors in society, and if you knew their stories you'd be rightly horrified that they receive any income at all from your taxes. For better or worse it is the nature of the game.

Just tell the truth and don't try to hide anything, they'll know more about you than you do yourself.
          Surely it's time for your pies!

Comment

personnel
            We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
              Surely it's time for your pies!
              It's a slow day so I'm multi-tasking, doing a bit of coding, a bit of design, a bit of doco, reading some Gregory of Nyssa (Funeral Oration on Meletius, in the orginal), oh and of course I've some rather nice blueberry pie, which is nice.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by interested
                Depends on what you did though.....

So what did you do.

And....

"a certain major high street bank which owns another company that features a dog in its advertising, is insisting on credit checks on its contractors and made it a condition of the next renewal.

There were many very good contractors who were not renewed after this... seemed very unfair"

That would be RBoS Nat West then.

FFS
                I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

There were many very good contractors who were not renewed after this... seemed very unfair
                  Well it is very unfair. If somebody was any good at defrauding banks, they wouldn't be in debt in the first place. Tsch. Banks! They don't know anything.

Wasn't it a little strange for the agency to say that no clearance was needed and then to jump in way down the pack and ask for SC Clearance?
                  Last edited by datestamp; 20 May 2006, 10:14.

Comment

Originally posted by datestamp
                    Well it is very unfair. If somebody was any good at defrauding banks, they wouldn't be in debt in the first place. Tsch. Banks! They don't know anything.

Clearance[/url]?
                    I suspect most were caught out during the downturn 3-4 years ago & maybe ended up owing HMG tax - or perhaps it was personal debt.

All had been working for the company for at least 18 months and had no access to sensitive data / live sysems so the risk would be low.

Comment

Wot did I do you ask?

UPDATE:

Nicked a telly (twice) and then got caught with my 'mates' (and I use that in the loosest possible term) when I was 21, in a stolen car.

As for credit? Of course I have normal mainstream cards, loans etc, as does everyone, but had a run in with Barclaycard about 5 years ago over a £1500 debt. Have checked my files, and it shows as a default until 6 years after the date of settlement (2 years ago).

The update is this. I went into work on Friday and fessed up to my boss. He seemed less than happy that I knew nothing of the clearance and is preparing to rip the ass out of the agency.

He did say again, that SC Clearance is absolutely needed and that he has seen people with worse records get in and people with better records, not get the SC.

He said that due to the cost of obtaining SC involved and the possibilty that I may not get the SC, he is exercising the clause in the contract of 1 weeks notice in the first 10 days of the contract.

He asked me not to return, but stated that he would arrange for 1 weeks pay for me (as per contract). So I left. Not that I liked where the company was anyway (Slough).

Spoke to the agent when I got home and they said pretty much that I have no chance of getting the weeks pay, so I threatened to the sue barstewards.

We'll see what happens. In any case, there's plenty more contracts around that don't need SC etc.

Right, I'm off to watch Top Gear............

Comment

Working...
                      X