• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make Bradford British

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    The bit that that struck me was the daughter of Mohammed - Maria, married '...to a relative of my mother...' the 'liberal' JP from Ilkley or producers didn't pick up on it - only that he was male chauvinist (he's a asshole so what).
    He's nothing of the sort, he is living how his culture dictates. Stomp your foot on the floor 3 times and an inferior woman will come to do your biding. (This is in the program I didnt make that up)

Its clear from the program that all the Asian participants wanted to live their own culture and belief system and yet be seen as British when it suited. This was illustrated by Mohammed having to storm off on the evening of the dinner party, just because someone asked him what his response would be if his daughters brought home a white British as a boyfriend. Despite both hosts literally begging him to return, he was never seen on the program after that point.

The Asian young lady who wore the hijab had never considered before that following her own culture made her seem not part of our culture, and therefore not British. She was not attacked, in fact the woman who challenged her said "You look really beautiful dressed like that, but you dont fit in with us. Be like us. Show some respect to us. If I went to your country I would dress like you to show respect."

The black lady ,who herself had been a victim of racism from a young age, Audrey who owned the pub said to her, "If you are English dress like an English."
    Reply "All I hear is. Englands like this, Englands like this, why do Asians have to give everything up? Why arent we met in the middle?"

Audrey: "If you dont like it, go back to your own country!"

All in all a very interesting and frank program, I would recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      from the time I spent in Bradford years ago - that pub - 'the boy and barrel' is *the* roughest of all pubs - nobody in their right mind would go in there let alone an educated muslim/asian woman.
      A fine pint of Tetleys was to be had in the Boy and Barrel. But no, not the place you'd take a lady (well, er, I did, but then her father used to sup there ;).

I didn't see the programme, but from this article

Make Bradford British was disappointingly controversy-free
      TV review: Make Bradford British's debut episode was surprisingly uncontroversial, but a trailer for next week's programme promised bigger, better more polemic things.
      tells me that it was meant to be provocative.

I saw a somewhat similar programme sometime last year which was a highly contrived competition to win a rather nice house in Grassington, voted in or out by the locals. The producers were deliberately trying to provoke prejudice amongst the locals with the selection of competitors they dragged along.

"Ooh look, let's have a laugh at these simple country village folk and show how unsophisticated they are!" seemed to be the producers' remit.

It was pathetic.
      Last edited by Sysman; 10 March 2012, 12:43.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        All in all a very interesting and frank program, I would recommend it.
        Ta for the summary. Is there a repeat scheduled?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          Ta for the summary. Is there a repeat scheduled?
          Make Bradford British - 4oD - Channel 4
          If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
            So far, its a fairly accurate representation of what I've seen Bradford is like.

That scene in the pub with the Asian girl was disgusting and embarrassing, but is not the first time I've seen it.
            What a load of tripe. You obviously know nothing about Bradford.

The program was the same liberal whitewash crap that CH4 has been putting out in recent years. They used to be a bit more informed however most documentaries now have more bias in them than BBC programming, which is a tough feat!

It tried to show the white people as ignorant and the Muslims and black as largely innocent. That is not the case, as anyone who came from there, knew someone who did or lived there will tell you. I know a couple of white people that had to move away because after 2001 the violence was out of control. Muslims hanging out of cars; burning flags, hurling objects at white people, abusing whites as soon as they stepped outside, tying markers to their cars and boxing white car drivers in and roaming gangs trying to beat to death a white driver for a minor road infraction.

These are the kind of things they didn't show that still happen on a routine basis in Bradford and other places in the UK, because using positive discrimination, they show the racism one aspect of society receives but they don't show racism from the Muslims. That Muslim girl was very lucky and should be grateful everyone was so polite towards the twerp. They aren't so polite towards whites, usually they're trying their best to beat or kill them.

On a side note, in the program one thing that annoyed me about the people in the programme and idiots in this thread, is the constant reference to "Asians". India and Pakistan are on the Indian subcontinent as shown below and are not Asian at all. When one refers to Asians, they invariably mean China, Japan, Singapore, etc, not Indians or Pakistanis. Don't tar civilised people in the far east with the Indian subcontinent brush.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              The Asian young lady who wore the hijab had never considered before that following her own culture made her seem not part of our culture, and therefore not British. She was not attacked, in fact the woman who challenged her said "You look really beautiful dressed like that, but you dont fit in with us. Be like us. Show some respect to us. If I went to your country I would dress like you to show respect."

The black lady ,who herself had been a victim of racism from a young age, Audrey who owned the pub said to her, "If you are English dress like an English."
              Reply "All I hear is. Englands like this, Englands like this, why do Asians have to give everything up? Why arent we met in the middle?"

Audrey: "If you dont like it, go back to your own country!"
              And they should bog off back to their own country. We can fling the leechers back by catapult. They had a perfectly valid point in that pub.

If you move to another country, you should adopt their laws, customs and try to integrate. The sad fact is immigrants here on the most part don't. They try to make a New Delhi in the UK instead. As I have said before, if I go to another country even on holiday, I try to speak the language. If I emigrated there I would try my best to integrate in any way I could.

The Indian subcontinent aren't the only ones guilty of this though. Some Brits emigrating to Spain have made it like little Britain, stripping away all of the charms of some towns which is just pathetic.

Funnily enough though, the one thing I couldn't care less about is the way an immigrant dresses. Does the Hijab offend me; no and I think some look quite sexy. Does the Burka offend me; not really but it would be nice to know if there was a ninja underneath or a real person. Does a T-shirt embossed with "cover me with chocolate and throw me to the lesbians" offend me? Yes but only a little. But I find this and the more offensive stuff, like fat chicks wearing almost nothing so they look like a walrus trying to floss on a hot day far more offensive.

However I have had this conversation with others and can see why some people feel that even the way one dresses is a merit of their integration.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              The producers were deliberately trying to provoke prejudice amongst the locals with the selection of competitors they dragged along.

"Ooh look, let's have a laugh at these simple country village folk and show how unsophisticated they are!" seemed to be the producers' remit.

It was pathetic.
              Indeed, it was a pathetic piece of crappy TV. Not as pathetic as the recent Allen VS Griffin TV show though. A left lunatic that tried his best to embarrass the right and instead proved what a vile piece of scum him and his promiscuous daughter really are.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                the constant reference to "Asians". India and Pakistan are on the Indian subcontinent as shown below and are not Asian at all. When one refers to Asians, they invariably mean China, Japan, Singapore, etc, not Indians or Pakistanis. Don't tar civilised people in the far east with the Indian subcontinent brush.
                And where do you think the 'Indian subcontinent' is? Asia, isn't it?
                [/QUOTE]

That aside - even we don't all to be brushed aside as 'Paki' or fanatical Muslim. For most part Indians are educated, hard-working, constructive and integrate well (well, as much as they can. the first generation 'freshies' do have a thick accent that doesn't help) and on the whole, communities do tend to ghettoise with their 'own' kind (that's true of East Asians as well, as the numerous Chinatowns attest)

Also, I think mistakes have been made in this country by letting all kinds of riff-raff in when we ('we' as in residents of this country, not necessarily natural born citizens who like to work towards a good society around them) could really have picked the brightest and the best.

The riff-raff happened to be a lot of uneducated, lower rungs of South Asians (with a high proportion of Pakistani Muslims) who initially were good enough to fill all the low-skilled jobs but never ever integrated even after generations. In fact, their younger generation is a lot more 'ethnic' at best and radicalised/bigoted at its worst. Now we're left to face the fact that they are as 'British' as the next guy. Historical blunder? Wonder what's the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
                  And where do you think the 'Indian subcontinent' is? Asia, isn't it?
                  Yes, but that is like saying the UK is the same as Eastern Europe. We are technically part of Europe but often aren't lumped in to the generalisation.

India and Pakistan are vastly different to other Asian countries who at least try to maintain civility. Even the fanatical Koreans are nicer towards each other than India and Pakistan are.

That aside - even we don't all to be brushed aside as 'Paki' or fanatical Muslim.
                  I'm not saying they do, but in some places like Bradford, they make up the majority of the races in question unfortunately.

For most part Indians are educated, hard-working, constructive and integrate well (well, as much as they can. the first generation 'freshies' do have a thick accent that doesn't help) and on the whole, communities do tend to ghettoise with their 'own' kind (that's true of East Asians as well, as the numerous Chinatowns attest)
                  I would agree there are some intelligent immigrants, ones generally that immigrated for the right reasons, not for the reasons in the past couple of decades where the UK is more an attraction for a welfare state instead of a land of opportunity.

I used the example of Brits in Spain to show how we all fail to integrate at times. However with so many different races who have bad blood and fight at home (India VS Pakistan for example), integration really needs to be followed more closely, otherwise Britain just becomes a mini battleground which it currently is.

Also, I think mistakes have been made in this country by letting all kinds of riff-raff in when we ('we' as in residents of this country, not necessarily natural born citizens who like to work towards a good society around them) could really have picked the brightest and the best.
                  Another failing of the bleeding heart liberals. Other countries including the US has strict visa guidelines for immigrants so the brightest ones are let in. Not that one would believe so, but the UK has skill set visa regulations as well but unfortunately others are let in on political reasons.

That means that instead of letting in the brightest, we often instead let in the scum that arent even wanted in their own countries.

The riff-raff happened to be a lot of uneducated, lower rungs of South Asians (with a high proportion of Pakistani Muslims) who initially were good enough to fill all the low-skilled jobs but never ever integrated even after generations. In fact, their younger generation is a lot more 'ethnic' at best and radicalised/bigoted at its worst. Now we're left to face the fact that they are as 'British' as the next guy. Historical blunder? Wonder what's the way out.
                  If the US is anything to go by, white people. Globally, Caucasians are an endangered species and when we look at the US, we see in some places, it is over 50% Hispanic, followed by Black people with white people in the minority.

In the coming generations as more coloured immigrants come in and more white people leave, the demographics of the UK will shift further. There are already many parts in the UK where you can play spot the white person and not see one for hours on end.

The UK will eventually over the following decades, end up as one massive battleground for everyone to burn flags, bibles/korans, have massive punch ups and "honour" kill entire communities. Few people here have respect for other cultures and most dont even respect their own.

Comment

They try to make a New Delhi in the UK instead.
                    And what part of New Delhi are 'they' trying to make it?
                    Seriously, have some awareness of where the world is heading now - parts of Delhi are now developed a lot (and most of New Delhi was built by the British and now Delhi is developing even more and FAST). The new metro rail system and the new airport just a couple of examples.

There is however a big chunk that's still a third world tuliphole and that includes MILLIONS of illegal Bangladeshis and muslim ghettos. I presume you have a problem with some problem with British cities being turned into this part of Delhi - so do I. Yes, I have been to the third world tuliphole that the east end of London has become (some might say it has traditionally been a downtrodden area but I assume was never as bad)

Or were you just alluding to the Pakistani or Bangladeshi run halal 'Indian' takeaway shops where you buy your curries and got food poisoning last night?

Comment

And what part of New Delhi are 'they' trying to make it?
                      Seriously, have some awareness of where the world is heading now - parts of Delhi are now developed a lot (and most of New Delhi was built by the British and now Delhi is developing even more and FAST). The new metro rail system and the new airport just a couple of examples.
                      Way to try and take it out of context. My exact paragraph was this:
                      If you move to another country, you should adopt their laws, customs and try to integrate. The sad fact is immigrants here on the most part don't. They try to make a New Delhi in the UK instead. As I have said before, if I go to another country even on holiday, I try to speak the language. If I emigrated there I would try my best to integrate in any way I could.

The Indian subcontinent aren't the only ones guilty of this though. Some Brits emigrating to Spain have made it like little Britain, stripping away all of the charms of some towns which is just pathetic.
                      Which you acknowledged by saying this:
                      and on the whole, communities do tend to ghettoise with their 'own' kind (that's true of East Asians as well, as the numerous Chinatowns attest)

The whole point is, some immigrants refuse integration and instead recreate their own towns within this country. Other nationalities have done the same abroad as well so the comment was more than fair.

The UK unfortunately, allows immigrants to make their own rules and customs and get away with behaviour in the UK that they wouldn't get away with if they emigrated elsewhere.

Im sorry you lack the intelligence to read properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X