• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain will be the strongest major economy in Europe for the next 2 years, says IMF

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    UK growth set to overtake the eurozone, forecasts IMF | This is Money

Looks like the Anglo-Saxon QE approach was best, since the US is showing signs of strong improvement, too.
    Meanwhile those stupid continentals force austerity on the Southern Europeans, killing the ailing patient, throwing out the baby with the bathwater, call it what you will. Why?
    First you have to make sure the patient lives, then apply the medicine. It's all about timing.
    I am sure we will do better than Europe - but once Greece defaults later this year I think it will have a bad affect globally. Then there is Portugal etc.

If we do get 2% growth next year I will be delighted - tjough it is hardly motoring.

And I still think the UK could become alot more business friendly.

<eagerly awaits cretin comment from sasguru>

Comment

Boomed!

Are these prjections based on house prices going up and we're all rich again?

House prices

Quick AtW, get on the housing ladder NOW!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        . Manger material!
        Truly your intellect is a straw house

PS I was merely pointing out to the congregation how sad you are, lying about petrol prices, to prove to us you are in Scootopia.
        Your life must be sad indeed if you stoop so low
        Last edited by sasguru; 21 February 2012, 12:50.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          to the longer term problems being created by QE.
          Are there any? Japan has been doing it for 20 years and is still deflationary.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well it artificially lowers the government's interest rate which allows them continue in their bad habits. A bit like the way nurofen allow alcoholics to keep drinking day after day after day until they finally keel over.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I think most of us here think deflation is a bad thing - but does that mean inflation is a good thing? Why does the BoE have a 2% inflation target?

If you can reply without using the word "cretin" I will give you +ve rep.....

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Well it artificially lowers the government's interest rate which allows them continue in their bad habits. A bit like the way nurofen allow alcoholics to keep drinking day after day after day until they finally keel over.

Thanks for the top tip!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I think most of us here think deflation is a bad thing - but does that mean inflation is a good thing? Why does the BoE have a 2% inflation target?

If you can reply without using the word "cretin" I will give you +ve rep.....
                  Deflation is a vicious circle - As soon as it starts, prices start falling, or a given amount buys more, so everyone defers discretionary purchases in the expectation that prices will continue falling. Then, due to the resulting downturn, this becomes true, and so on.

Think of it like orbiting a black hole - If you're skimming the event horizon then one hiccup and you'll be gone. There are obviously no stable orbits inside - every world line spirals down to the centre (in principle) or (in practice) to the inner horizon where you'll be destroyed by mass inflation instabilities.

So to be on the safe side, you should allow some margin for error, such as 2% in the case of inflation.

Edit: (off topic, but I hate to see inaccuracies) There are no stable black hole orbits within the photon sphere, which is 1.5 * the radius of the event horizon (as measured by a distant observer). At that distance a circular orbit must be at the speed of light, and any closer and the directions of maximum escape velocity (light speed) tip more and more towards the outward direction, if that makes sense.
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 23 February 2012, 18:08.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Deflation is a vicious circle - As soon as it starts, prices start falling, or a given amount buys more, so everyone defers discretionary purchases in the expectation that prices will continue falling. Then, due to the resulting downturn, this becomes true, and so on.

Think of it like orbiting a black hole - If you're skimming the event horizon then one hiccup and you'll be gone. There are obviously no stable orbits inside - every world line spirals down to the centre (in principle) or (in practice) to the inner horizon where you'll be destroyed by mass inflation instabilities.

So to be on the safe side, you should allow some margin for error, such as 2% in the case of inflation.
                    I agree strongly - but is inflation such a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Aye couldn't have put it better myself.
                      We've had inflation in the past and while not pretty, it's the lesser of 2 evils.
                      Plus in the situation we're in, inflation eats away at real debts.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X