• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chasing the Aurora

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 is supposed to be the best year to see the lights
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

yep - that's more what we werd the hoping for. The weather is bad though - lots of cloud cover. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        Six hours on a coach, and we saw a vague grey glow behind a cloud, that could have been nothing or the moon, or a distant light. If they hadn't pointed it out, you wouldn't have even noticed it. No colour or movement.
        That's an aurora, I'm afraid. Many people expect to see the sky ablaze with colour, like looking up at a luminous flapping curtain. But unless the aurora is particularly intense, all you normally see is what you described.

The vivid photo images that you see are taken using long exposures, and the 'flapping curtain' effect is really speeded-up time-lapse cine.

I've only ever seen one, and I was at sea. Being a radio ham, I have 'heard' aurora, because we bounce VHF signals off them just for fun.

Enjoy your holiday :-)

Comment

I've seen the aurora several times. The first was the most spectacular, it was so bright it woke me as the bedroom was filled with light even through curtains. Going outside to have a look was breathtaking.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Not watching meteor showers, auroras and any tulip like this ever since I read The Day of the Triffids...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Not watching meteor showers, auroras and any tulip like this ever since I read The Day of the Triffids...
              It wasn't real you know.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                I've seen the aurora several times. The first was the most spectacular, it was so bright it woke me as the bedroom was filled with light even through curtains. Going outside to have a look was breathtaking.
                I've never been that lucky.

I only saw the Southern equivalent, but there were other things in the sky to worry about at the time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Mate of mine did the same kind of trip as k2p2 (albeit to Sweden), and failed to see them.

He was overjoyed when I said I'd seen it two or three times in Yorkshire.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X