• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What antivirus do you use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After trying all the usual memory and CPU hogging suspects, I can fully recommend Vipre.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Sticking your fingers in your ears and chanting "I've got a Mac" doesn't actually act as a deterrent.

The iPhone may well be responsible for a whole slew of Mac nasties as MacOsX gets more popular.
      Yes I laughed quite hard at the option "none - I have a mac". Mac's are more common for getting infections than one would think. The problem is as well the inexperience of some of macs users. Most linux users, have a working IT knowledge and tend to be better at avoiding infections.

At the moment on my main laptop, Im using linux, so no av (as I dont mess about without protection) with xp running on a virtual machine. Several other machines such as xp, win7, w23k on the server.

On the server and XP rigs I have an old version of CA which is extremely stable and has a very small footprint and some of the best virus defs out there from CA.
      Last edited by wim121; 6 February 2012, 01:20.

Comment

My ISP has offered me a 2 year free subscription of F-Secure (to soften the blow of a small price hike) for a single machine, so I'm wondering if it's any good.

Has anyone here got experience, favourable or otherwise of F-Secure?
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          But maybe malicious software does not really exist and AV is all a con, like dentistry.
          That is definately the case. Something to worry the muppets that have insurance up the ass.

I've just de-installed all my anti-virus bollocks and can rest easy in the knowledge that if anything truly nasty happens I can roll back to a recent VM backup, or the problem will be caught on whatever server/network I connect to that still has all this anti-virus bollox installed.

So like a whore with every disease under the sun, I can't catch anything new and it's the problem of whoever tries to **** with me.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Another +1 for MSE.

Used to swear by AVG until v8 when it went bloaty and slowed the PC down to a crawl. After that started using Avast (still do on my netbook with TinyXP), was much faster than AVG but a bit annoying doing the update thing at start-up (on a slow connection).

Happy enough with MSE.
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
            X