• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sun going into hibernation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RealClimate: What does the lag of CO2 behind temperature in ice cores tell us about global warming?
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Changes in insolation due to orbital eccentricities initiate the warming - the warming releases CO2 from the oceans, over about 800-2000 years the enhanced greenhouse from the elevated CO2 causes more warming, which releases more CO2 which causes more warming - until the Milkanovitch cycle kicks in and reverses the process. Hence the lag.

Of course this all happens on century and longer timescales. Carbon is released and sequestered and temperatures rise and fall within a defined range. Within less than 2 centuries, we've dug up and burnt enough carbon to elevate the concentrations 35% outside the historical range. But I can't see that having much of an effect

Shorter Kimberley - I can't answer your argumenst so I am going to call you names.

PS the arrow top right is current levels.

Comment

It's utter bollox.

If CO2 was the driver of the warming, then at current concentrations we'd be sitting on a global desert, all the ice would be water and the Maldives would be gone.

As it is, there's very little warming if any.

Why are we not burining in hell at these levels and these levels have been around for at least 50 years.

Warm planet releases CO2 it doesn't mean the CO2 warms the planet very much. You could take all the CO2 out of the atmosphere and the Earth would still have very warm peroids and very cold periods over thousands of years.

Comment

As it is, there's very little warming if any.
          Well, it is about half a degree warmer than it was in the seventies. Not much on an absolute scale, perhaps, but do you know how much extra heat is needed to raise the surface of an entire planet by that increment?

Comment

So now it's 288.5 degrees K instead of 288.0K.

How come all of these temperature graphs have such dramatically-arranged vertical axes?

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              So now it's 288.5 degrees K instead of 288.0K.

How come all of these temperature graphs have such dramatically-arranged vertical axes?
              Climate science is to science as the Daily Mail / Express journalism is to journalism.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Winter is here... four-week Siberian freeze to grip UK

Comment

Working...
              X