• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Orwellian Eurospeak/Euphemisms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ah yes very nice.

Comment

I wouldn't be laughing if the house next to mine was on fire. If you think the Euro exploding wont impact the UK then you are clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
        I wouldn't be laughing if the house next to mine was on fire. If you think the Euro exploding wont impact the UK then you are clueless.
        What do you want me to do, dress in sackcloth and ashes? Twunt.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 8 June 2022, 16:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
            Excellent idea for a thread. Respect to sasguru!
            I'm a bit slow, but I see what you did there.

Comment

This thread needs girls!

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                How about all the PC newspeak that abounds these days.

I can't stand the word gender.

What's un-pc about the word sex when differentiating between membership of the male or female camp?

It's so a transexual,transvestite, or more importantly someone who has a chromosomal abnormality meaning they didn't know what "sex" they were would easily be able to say what "gender" they were. There are also people who decide they are a "third gender". For most of us it doesn't make a blind bit of difference as both are the same.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It's so a transexual,transvestite, or more importantly someone who has a chromosomal abnormality meaning they didn't know what "sex" they were would easily be able to say what "gender" they were. There are also people who decide they are a "third gender". For most of us it doesn't make a blind bit of difference as both are the same.
                  Really? I always thought it was because sex can have a few different meanings whereas gender has a much clearer meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    Really? I always thought it was because sex can have a few different meanings whereas gender has a much clearer meaning.
                    I thought it was because 90% of the male gender and 10% of the female gender were writing 'Yes please' whenever an official form said

Surname:
                    First Name:
                    Sex:

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                      "Sex" is actually clearer as you can only have "Male" or "Female". This is why it's used on anything official like birth certificate or a passport, which are used as ID to comply with laws where "Sex" is important i.e. marriage.

There as "Gender" is more likely used on things like council diversity monitoring forms where it doesn't really matter if you put you are "xxy", "hermaphrodite", "third gender" or "alien".

To be honest I think it's a fast as if you are stuck with what you view is the wrong "Sex" on your birth certificate then putting a different "Gender" on a diversity monitoring form isn't really helpful.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X