• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Restrictive Covenants on property

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    WPS

My friend has little time for the legal profession. He feels that if he goes down that route then the only ones guaranteed to win financially are the lawyers.

He sounds very mistrustful your 'friend'. Does he also have six fingers and like haggis???
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      He sounds very mistrustful your 'friend'. Does he also have six fingers and like haggis???
      You mean like most of your "nearly family"?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

The way it is worded is

"For the benefit and protection of the adjoining land retained by the vendors known as XXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX aforesaid the purchaser hereby covenants with the vendor that the purchaser and its successors in title will etc." ...
        So it sounds like I was right - Once that phrase "retained by the vendors" no longer applies, the covenant lapses (in practice and probably also in principle).
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Our last two houses have had restrictive covenants on because although they are freehold they have both been in private roads.

With the first one, as long as we got approval from the management committee there was no problem - in fact the general rule was "you can do what you like as long as no-one objects".

With the second one, our current house, the land is protected by a deed of covenant referring back to the original owners and we have to ask their permission if we want to change the external appearance of the house etc. In practice it's not usually refused.

Most of these things are on a live and let live basis I've found which is why it pays to stay on good terms with your neighbours and not hack them off unnecessarily.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            So it sounds like I was right - Once that phrase "retained by the vendors" no longer applies, the covenant lapses (in practice and probably also in principle).
            Maybe yes, and maybe no. If the following principle applies then it is immaterial that the vendors have sold the property on.
            The restrictions are there for the welfare of the land rather than any particular owner.

A restrictive covenant is a private agreement between land owners where one party will restrict the use of its land in some way for the benefit of another's land. Restrictive covenants, once agreed between the parties, are placed in the title deeds to the property. They bind the land and not the parties personally. In other words, the restrictive covenant 'runs with the land'. This means that the covenant continues even when the original parties to the covenant sell the land on to other people. Restrictive covenants also continue to have effect even though they were made many years ago and appear to be obsolete. They are enforceable by one landowner against another, provided they are restrictive or ‘negative’ in their effect and effectively allow a form of private planning control.
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

WPS

My friend has little time for the legal profession. He feels that if he goes down that route then the only ones guaranteed to win financially are the lawyers.

Your "friend" has obviously been ripped off by those in the legal profession who are too dishonest to say - sort it out amicably.

Every member of the legal profession I speak to informs me that I should sort out all disputes amicably.

If your "friend" is objecting to a planning issue they need to some research on what the local council has in it's planning frameworks i.e. local development framework, to see what is and isn't allowed. Though if other people on the road have got away with doing things like the neighbour then that won't work.

Plus if your "friend's" neighbours are running a business on-site and they have any visitors or other employees, I hope they are paying business rates as well as council tax.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X