• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So boxing is also not a sport? Or any martial art - they all rely on someone to do the scoring. Even football, rugby and cricket rely on a subjective referee, whose judgement often determines who wins.

All these sports have objective scoring systems, it is NOT a judge just deciding how much they like it. Small margins of error are accounted for by having multiple judges.
    Although I see where you are coming from with some of your argument I think you are being a bit shady wrt boxing and martial arts - in their basic form you don't score points the winner is the one who can still batter the loser, although if you know the rules it is possible to rule the punch that rendered the opponent insensible was not a "scoring" punch because it was with the wrong part of the glove.

With football/rugby/cricket it is perfectly possible to play a game entirely without any ref - thousands of people do it all the time and they all, winners and losers, know the result.

You could also explain the rules to "anyone" and they would be able to decide on goals/scoring/catches etc with no subjectivity involved. I am not saying all refs are entirely objective all the time but thats a different argument.
    Based on facts all scoring could be counted and the winner decided.

If doog and his mates played a footie game against an invitation side of Brazil and Barcelona at the end of the match whoever had scored the most goals would be the winner and no amount of opinion about who played technically better etc would matter.

If two gymnasts did their stuff without a "ref" to offer an opinion there would not be a winner. As assuming both were competent any decision as to which performance was better would be subjective.
    If they both did a forward roll and a handstand it is only opinion as to which was prettier.

Don't some of these activities even have marks for Artistic Merit?? Even Ski Jumping FFS where presumably you could decide who ever flew the furthest without landing on his arse was the winner without any thought as to How Pretty it was (I am fairly certain that the standard landing technique used by Ski Jumpers now used to be marked down as un-stylish but was still adopted as the extra distance gained, without falling on your arse, outweighed Style! Telemark or something)

Anyway it is unlikely that you will agree with me so I'll leave it there.....

Comment

Working...
    X