• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IBM Bladecentre-H

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    They were three phase commando sockets with leads as thick as your thumb. I had some e4500's (5) for a while but the village kept blowing transformers and i looked at my electric bill

I would like a look at one of these arm super computers that dell took over. They look fairly clever...
    Yup - three phase! Does that three times more leccy - I've no idea!?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Yup - three phase! Does that three times more leccy - I've no idea!?
      You might get old bill knocking on yer door to check how many plants you have in your house.

Source: Welcome to cannabis mansion: Huge drugs farm found in £850,000 house on 'millionaire's row' | Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Blades is a nice idea
        Just don't bring one to a gunfight.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I had the dubious title of "BladeCenter Champion" when IBM launched it. The BC-H is a bit of a power monster. You can save power by pulling half the power supplies and running it in non-redundant mode but the fans go to 100% and anyone within a couple of miles thinks Concorde is back. You should also advise ladies in skirts to beware standing directly behind when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonic View Post
            You can save power by pulling half the power supplies and running it in non-redundant mode
            Inactive power supplies should not use much power because not a lot should be drawn through them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Inactive power supplies should not use much power because not a lot should be drawn through them.
              BladeCenter load balances across them and since PSUs are more efficient under heavier loads it does save a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmonic View Post
                BladeCenter load balances across them and since PSUs are more efficient under heavier loads it does save a bit.
                Surely load balancing means lower average load per PSU and thus lower efficiency? Perhaps they just want to avoid running single PSU at top level which might not be as efficient as some mid point.

Comment

I'm just 'helping' a guy online who's bought two JS20's on Ebay, hoping to put RHEL on them or AIX if he can't. I've asked if he has the the Blade chassis, management module(s), etc, gone very quiet.....

Comment

Stop mucking about with blades, get something decent...

IBM eServer AS/400 i5 9406-550 Server & Storage System, Arrays, HDD, Cards | eBay
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                      Stop mucking about with blades, get something decent...

IBM eServer AS/400 i5 9406-550 Server & Storage System, Arrays, HDD, Cards | eBay
                      AS400 and whatever it's called now, IBM i I think, is/was/may well be the canines gonads, set it and forget it, a real working black box, I know very little about it except what I just said.

Comment

Working...
                      X