• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cold callers purporting to be technical support

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    It did throw her for a second, she was in the middle of trying to get me download Teamviewer and had to think on her feet to give me some random number. Probably why the man we got when we called back sounded so confused

Unlikely she plucked a totally random valid number out of thin air. She probably gave out her boyfriends number, or her own home number and her dad answered.

Or it was the number of the previous mug she had called.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I normally keep them on the line long enough to open up a new VM and see how dumb I can play

Great idea. I'm going to set up a honey trap VM now, with a CIA desktop background, and as many viruses as I can find that can penetrate via TeamViewer.

Sod's law I'll never get 'the call' then, so not a total waste of time.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

From a head hunters point of view, do any of you get calls asking for names of employees of the company? and how easy is to get hands on employee lists/structure charts?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

At the bank on a previous contract someone rang me and asked for an outside line.

Great idea if you need to ring Auntie Aggy in Oz.

Comment

I got a cold call yesterday asking if I have been involved in road traffic accident in last 3 years. I spent 2 minutes swearing at them - I threatened to make them look like they had been in an RTA and to cut their nuts off. A bit difficult as the caller was a woman.....

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post

Great idea. I'm going to set up a honey trap VM now, with a CIA desktop background, and as many viruses as I can find that can penetrate via TeamViewer.

Sod's law I'll never get 'the call' then, so not a total waste of time.
              Or a huge p0no background.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Are they still going?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...r-baiting.html
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I rarely get cold callers since I dont distribute my number liberally. However, in the last 6 months I have had many calls from agents wanting to get me my PPI reimbursed. I ask them , what PPI ? and they keep telling me that in the past I have taken out a mortgage or a loan and that i was missold PPI. God knows who sold them this info. Could be the mortgage company.

Another cold call I get is the no win no fee chaps who think I was in an accident and that I could be in line for compo. Again I have no idea how they got my number, the only time I was in distress while driving was when my wipers stopped working in heavy rain and I pulled over and rang AA but could not get through and drove back home in heavy rain with no wipers (). AA could have sold my number . Its all a bit dodgy.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    IAnother cold call I get is the no win no fee chaps who think I was in an accident and that I could be in line for compo. Again I have no idea how they got my number
                    They randomly call phone numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      They randomly call phone numbers.
                      Better to phone up and sat 'Mr/Mrs Xxx, we know what you did last summer. We want £5000 or we tell your partner and the police'

Bound to be more fruitful.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X