• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland warned it could lose the pound and be forced to join Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The debt was generated using systems put in place by a Scot. Clearly not many people in the north believe in those systems.
    If you are going to be pedantic about it.
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
      If you are going to be pedantic about it.
      A double agent sent in by the SNP.

If you attend the clan meetings you'd know about those things.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
        Scooter. You are deluded, blinkered and bitter.

The debt belongs to the UK and Scotland is part of that. If anything an independent Scotland should take on Scottish debt so RBS and HBOS debts should go with the independence as well as approximately 10% of UK debt.
        You do realise that HBOS was a merger between the Halifax and the Bank of Scotland? To call it a Scottish bank is wrong, it is quite clearly a British bank.

And the profile of the two at the top as it crashed and burned:

Andy Hornby and James Crosby, both English. However, unlike you I will look past the blinkers and not say it was an English problem. It was a City of London problem though.

Whilst 'Broon' may have been at the helm, he was no sole fallguy. Bills are put to Parliament where they are scrutinised, debated and then if accepted they are enacted. This was a British creation and saving the banks benefited the British because I will guarantee you that more English debt is tied up in both those banks than Scottish debt.

You want us to take the debt? Fine, we'll just call in all those English loans and mortgages. Not really a good idea though is it, (a) for Scotland or (b) for England.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
          You do realise that HBOS was a merger between the Halifax and the Bank of Scotland? To call it a Scottish bank is wrong, it is quite clearly a British bank.

And the profile of the two at the top as it crashed and burned:

Andy Hornby and James Crosby, both English. However, unlike you I will look past the blinkers and not say it was an English problem. It was a City of London problem though.

Whilst 'Broon' may have been at the helm, he was no sole fallguy. Bills are put to Parliament where they are scrutinised, debated and then if accepted they are enacted. This was a British creation and saving the banks benefited the British because I will guarantee you that more English debt is tied up in both those banks than Scottish debt.

You want us to take the debt? Fine, we'll just call in all those English loans and mortgages. Not really a good idea though is it, (a) for Scotland or (b) for England.
          I think this is a fair example of why the whole Scottish independence thing is a bum idea. The minimum result will be to stoke up a whole load of resentment, but it'll probably be a whole lot worse. This is why Salmond gets up my nose. Basically he plans to keep winding up the English (note he'll never make any direct reference to Wales or Northern Ireland) until English public opinion say okay, do what you want. In return Scots will be told that this is what the English have always thought and probably vote for the break-up.

If you think there is ill feeling now, imagine what it will be like afterwards. Salmond's tactic is to tulip stir for all it is worth.

Comment

The debt was generated using systems put in place by Westminster. Clearly not many people in the north believe in those systems.
            and what is this drivel meant to mean?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              and what is this drivel meant to mean?
              Beyond the IQ of the average agent I'm afraid.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                This is why Salmond gets up my nose. Basically he plans to keep winding up the English (note he'll never make any direct reference to Wales or Northern Ireland) until English public opinion say okay, do what you want.
                El Presidente was not the one who brought this conversation up. Alex is standing up for what the people of Scotland voted for. More people in Scotland voted for the SNP than all three other parties put together. The SNP achieved what was meant to be impossible, i.e. a majority in a Scottish PR Parliament.

To say he doesn't have a mandate to ask any question he wants around Independence is ludicrous. He has the support of the electorate.

What exactly is it he says that winds you (I'm assuming you're an Englishman) up so much? That he wants to set the question? That he wants to set the date?

Don't forget, most of what you read about Salmond is tainted by the English Press. I notice a clear difference in reporting in English and Scottish editions of papers such as The Times, Daily Mail, Telegraph, etc. In my opinion he's actually a great statesman.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Read his keynote speech and tell me where this anti-English rhetoric is coming from?

Alex Salmond delivers keynote speech | Scottish National Party

I do like this line though:

THE DAYS OF WESTMINSTER POLITICIANS TELLING SCOTLAND WHAT TO DO OR WHAT TO THINK ARE OVER. THE SCOTTISH PEOPLE WILL SET THE AGENDA FOR THE FUTURE.

Comment

And whats your prediction Incognito ? how do you think it will go
                    assuming its a yes / no question

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Beyond the IQ of the average agent I'm afraid.
                      So you have no idea of what you are saying?
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X