• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland committed to joining the Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    What I don't understand is the Greeks, they're trying to pass austerity measures so they can get more money and people are striking and objecting. Won't that mean that the country will go down the pan?
    They believe that for Europe to survive, fiscal transfers have to take place. Germany has benefited from an advantagous exchange rate due to the Greeks - so they expect something in return. Both sides are now involved in a Mexican standoff.

Comment

Thank you for the explanation, it was very well put.
      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Iceland wanting to join the eurozone is hardly a ringing endorsement of it!
        Quite. Even if the cracks are papered over, eventually Europe's many problems: demographic ageing, lack of competivity, high labour costs mean it is going to be low growth area for the next generation
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

It seems that the Germans have been the main beneficiaries of the Euro isn't their economy doing really well in comparison with the rest of the EU
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
            It seems that the Germans have been the main beneficiaries of the Euro isn't their economy doing really well in comparison with the rest of the EU
            Of course! They are not stupid are they. By imposing the Euro they have wiped out cost competition from "lower cost" EU countries and they have kept exchange rates disproportionately low, thus maintaining price competitiveness of their products.
            Their banks have lent Eurozone consumers vast amounts of money to buy German products.

Now they have to pay for it by bailing the rest of Europe out of its financial crisis
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              eventually Europe's many problems: demographic ageing, lack of competivity, high labour costs mean it is going to be low growth area for the next generation
              And UK is different how?

Comment

Does that mean the Prawn Rings will now be €3 not £3?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Does that mean the Prawn Rings will now be €3 not £3?

How very dare you!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    And UK is different how?
                    Because we are masters of our own destiny. If we want to let Russians into our country it is our decision. If we want to borrow like feckless idiots then it is our decision and we can suffer the consequences. No one is saying our bed is better but it is ours to mess up if we want to.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

But if countries we've lent to default won't that make our financial position more precarious?
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X