• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

250000 people to watch fireworks on the south bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    I just don't get it. Why go at all? You can't get a pint, can't have a slash, and can't get home. Why would you bother?
    In one of my first years of working in London, in my early twenties, I recall standing on the steps of the church in the corner of Trafalgar Square, surveying the new years eve crowd. One of our group, looking at the same scene, commented that it was ironic that the people there celebrating were mostly those who had nothing to celebrate. (We all had good jobs but hadn't yet made the leap into the contractor earnings bracket, at which point London life becomes tolerable.)

Comment

We went up to LB on millenium eve and was one of the worst nights out I've had in London. Never again.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post

I just don't get it. Why go at all? You can't get a pint, can't have a slash, and can't get home. Why would you bother?
        WHS, plus there's a risk of being pickpocketed, catching flu, or even being crushed to death.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Been in the TS fountains on NYE (can you still do that?) I recall it being good natured with minimal police presence & then went onto a party in Oxford afterwards.
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I've just had a pre new year's party and only just woke up - I'm so hungover but I've got to go to the real thing shortly about a hundred miles away.... uuuurrrgggh....

Desperately seeking a backup liver....
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              Been in the TS fountains on NYE (can you still do that?) I recall it being good natured with minimal police presence & then went onto a party in Oxford afterwards.
              That's a fair way to go for a party after midnight in central london!
              "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Good fireworks on the telly. Imagine you need to be a distance away to appreciate them.

Comment

Working...
                X